Mead football places second following state championship, team reflects on season

Mead Maverick football competed for a state championship against Fort Morgan; looking back, they reflect on the season as a whole

Ryan Brewster

Mead students at the football state championship on Dec. 4. Photo by Ryan Brewster! Check him out @brew.shots

On Saturday, Dec. 4, Mead football had the opportunity to win the first state championship in school history. 

Although the outcome was not ideal, the team still made it the furthest they have ever gone, and Mead players are incredibly thankful for each and every one of their teammates and how they performed through the entirety of this year’s season.

The playoff push was one that was never before seen by the Mead community, winning both the first and second round games by just one point. Roosevelt was the only team in the way of their state championship dreams. 

The undefeated No. 1 seed was heavily favored against the Mavericks, but we defended our home turf, beating them by a whopping margin of 38-21. 

Next up was the Fort Morgan Mustangs, which we were against for the state championship. Some Mead students made the drive all the way up to CSU Pueblo, about a two and a half hour drive from the MHS building. Although the drive was lengthy, faithful students were still there to support the team.

The game was even almost the entire time, but eventually came down to the wire, where Mead could not hold on to their lead. 

In the post game huddle full of players’ family and friends, the mood was very somber. With “We are the Champions” by Queen playing in the background, many players’ eyes were full of tears. For most seniors, this will be the last time they wear their pads, and are taking in every moment. Coaches were reassuring their players that they did great and that they are the proudest they’ve ever been. 

Head football Coach Klatt said, “[The team] overachieved. They were unselfish.”

“It was a year that I won’t forget and I know they won’t forget either. They created a bunch of memories that last a long time and we made history going to the state game — [this is the] first [MHS football] team to do that,” he continued.

Other coaches added to the accomplishments of the players. Coach Palko, the defensive coach, said that the biggest thing he’s proud of is how much hard work and effort the players put into every single part of the season.

The season was exceptional, even with the unfortunate loss at the state championship. One of the current seniors of the team said that he will remember this season as a great way to finish off his high school career.