MHS offers a variety of new classes for the 2022-23 year

There are new classes coming for next year: rap composition, speech and debate, social media advertising, and others

Noel Major

Inquire about new classes with your counselor if you have questions.

There are a number of new classes being offered for the 2022-2023 school year, many of which are a result of a survey sent to students earlier this year to see what classes they may be interested in.

While there are a variety of new options, there are four classes that stand out as particularly unique.

Rap Composition

According to the course catalog, this class has been developed for students to “improve skills to create, record, and publish original compositions”.

“Students will compose lyrics in written form through the development of poetry, composition, story-telling, and modeled after lyrics from a variety of musical genres, time periods, and geographical locations,” the description continues.

Band and music teacher Mr. Chad Lemons said, “This class… starts with putting things on paper first and then going into the creation phase.”

He wants students to know that it is not the History of Rock & Roll class version of rap. Students will not be sitting and listening to music, writing about it later. Instead, he said, it is like an art class for music. 

“A big part of this class is going to be recording,” Mr. Lemons added.

The Education Foundation for St. Vrain Valley Schools bought new equipment that this class can use. 

Lastly, because Mead High School is a public school, there may be some limits in this class, mostly with language. Mr. Lemons said the goal is to not censor, however. 

Lemons wants students to feel free to explore their interests and grow.

“You could go back and look at Tupac or Biggie, or, if you want to go more modern, you can.”

Speech and Debate

The course catalog describes Speech and Debate as a year long class where students will engage in a variety of debate activities. “Students in this class are not required to participate in the competitive speech and debate team; however, the benchmark for all students is to be tournament ready,” it says. 

English teacher and Journalism adviser Ms. Jamie Hedlun will be teaching the class next year.

“The class is an introductory class,” she said.

In other words, students do not need any experience to join the class, just interest.

“Any student who takes it will be ready to compete but doesn’t have to. We want to train kids to participate in debate events,” Ms. Hedlun added.

Hedlun explained that this class teaches students to debate instead of argue and how to win with the best arguments, not the loudest voice.

She said, “[It is] almost like a game. You earn points for speaking.”

Students will prepare for debates and likely have formal debates once a month with other students and teachers acting as judges. 

Social Media Advertising

The MHS course catalog says that this class “teaches students to use social media as a business strategy and addresses current trends, ethics, regulations, legal challenges, strategy, content development, and change development”.

The class is a single semester course and is worth 0.5 credits.

“Intro to Business and Principles of Marketing are the prerequisite courses necessary to participate in social media for business,” business teacher Ms. Kirsten Viera said.

Introduction to Business begins the pathway for students interested in pursuing business, marketing and the overall business operations.

Since demographics play an important role in successful marketing, Principles of Marketing additionally offers a building block for students to continue into social media advertising.

“[There was previously] no pathway for business,” Viera said in regards to the new prerequisites. “It was just ‘take whatever you wanted’, which isn’t really productive if you want to start a business.”

Students who take the course will not only have access to the pathways option, they will be able to help run the school store alongside Student Council. 

“[I] hope to make a business plan to have a school store, not just spirit wear,” Viera said.

There are restrictions based on what SVVSD allows — this mostly pertains to possible COVID-19 restrictions and food items.

Ultimately, Ms. Viera wants students to walk away with life skills.

She said she wants the skills to be tangible and not feel like just another class; instead, she wants students to take the skills with them and apply them to their future.

She added, “All business classes can be tailored for [the student]” because they are the consumer.