Celtics player Jayson Tatum set to be all time great

Tatum is set to be an all time favorite based on his incredible performance so far

Jayson Tatum official Twitter

Tatum has proved himself thus far. (Feb. 24 photo)

Braeden Corliss, Writer

In college, as the Blue Devils’ starting Small Forward, Jayson Tatum led his team to an ACC championship in the 2016-2017 season. Winning 4 games in a row, Tatum dominated the tournament, and helped them qualify for the NCAA national championship tournament, with his 19.5 points per game (ppg). Leading his team to a first round victory in the pinnacle tournament in college sports, he averaged 16.8 ppg in his freshman year.

Following a great collegiate season, Tatum declared for the NBA draft, and he was drafted 3rd overall by the Boston Celtics.

In his rookie season, Tatum averaged 13.9 ppg, 1.6 assists per game (apg), and 5 rebounds per game. These strong stats allowed him to push for the rookie of the year. However, he fell second to his 76ers rival, Ben Simmons. While he fell short of the ROTY honors, many analysts recognized his NBA potential, as opposed to what he did in college.

In his second season, Tatum further improved, scoring 15.7 ppg, 6.1 rebounds per game, and 2.1 apg. Leading his team to a playoff push, they eventually lost to their Eastern Conference rivals, the Milwaukee Bucks, in the second round. Following the season, many (the Celtics themselves and others) recognized Tatum as a rising star in the league — a star for years to come.

In his third year, he finally reached the All Star game, and even earned his first All-NBA selection, as a third-team player, being recognized as one of the best players in the league. With the prospect of another playoff push, Tatum once again led his squad to a playoff appearance, as well as to an Eastern Conference championship, but fell to the Miami Heat despite his efforts.

In his 2020-2021 season, he averaged 26.4 ppg, 4.3 apg, and 7.4 rebounds per game. Amid a tough season suspended by the pandemic, Tatum wowed crowds with his ridiculous performances, including 50 points in some games, most notably the play-in tournament game. Following making the official playoffs, he again tallied up 50 points in his 3rd game of the opening round of the Eastern Conference playoffs. Against the “Big Three” of Brooklyn Nets players James Harden, Kevin Durant, and Kyrie Irving, this was a huge performance. Despite this, his Celtics fell to the Nets in game 5 of the opening series.

With monster performances last year, Tatum had big expectations for the new season. And he has delivered up to this point. He has had an amazing 5th season. While the playoffs have yet to start, he has made his third All Star game, and controversially, didn’t make an All-NBA team. As one of the best players so far this year, many questioned his non-selection. He has led the Celtics to a 47-28 record, which is tied for first in the Eastern Conference.

Jayson Tatum has shown time and time again that he is a player to watch, and his exciting, energetic play makes the NBA much more enjoyable. If Tatum continues on this streak, he could be an all time great.