Teens are not a statistic (Opinion)

Why stereotypes of high school dropouts aren't necessarily always true

Jalena Roberts

More stories from Jalena Roberts

In the United States alone, nearly 2,000 high schools fail to graduate less than 60% of their students, and as a whole, 1.2 million students often drop out of high school. When it comes to why students drop out, there are many possible reasons someone would want to stop themselves from going to school, some stemming from things like simply not liking school or feeling like they don’t belong there

To many individuals, adolescents who end up dropping out are to be considered “wrong” or “unintelligent” for doing so, but in my opinion, that isn’t at all correct. People have their reasons for doing things, even if it’s dropping out of school. I guarantee in those situations there’s some sort of reason for them doing what they did or are doing.

And all of those kids who’ve done negative things don’t deserve to be placed into one big pile with the rest of “bad kids”; it’s inconsiderate as everyone is different, no matter how they are stereotyped.

In many ways, I feel that there isn’t such a thing as a “good” or “bad” student; “goodness” and “badness” are subjective. Some people will talk about goodness and badness as if it’s black and white. However, morality is made up of many shades of grey and is really just down to opinion. I mean, even me saying that morality is subjective is an opinion!

People are always afraid of what’ll happen for teens who drop out, and it’s kind of them to worry but only to a degree. So many try to guide young adults into some big-name college without realizing that doing so can guide them into other, more negative directions (and that’s coming from a teenager). Scaring someone into getting them to do what adults want won’t help. Let them do what’ll make them happy, even if that means they’ll drop out of high school. Then be there for them afterward.

Also, many fail to consider the successes of those society deems as unworthy because they chose to drop out. For example, according to Business Insider, famous director Quentin Tarantino dropped out at the age of 15, and David H. Murdock, a self-made billionaire, dropped out at 14.

I’m not telling anyone to drop out; I’m simply saying that it is possible for anyone find success, even without a high school degree. Please, remember that us teenagers aren’t a simple statistic, we aren’t here to help make any school look better, we’re people.