Dreamers Look to Uncertain Future

District stands by all students in SVVSD and beyond

Mead High Students travel to their next class.

Aiden Owen

Aiden Owen

Jared Overturf, Editor

The Saint Vrain Valley School District is a diverse community with students from many different backgrounds. Some of these students have originally come from other countries and are currently protected by a government program called DACA, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. These are students, known as Dreamers, who were brought into the United States illegally by their parents before they were of a certain age. DACA is currently in the process of being repealed or replaced by the new administration of the United States. While the district does not keep any information of students regarding immigration status, it is clear that the impact of the repeal will be widespread.

To be eligible for DACA, Dreamers must have arrived in the United States before their 16th birthday, be below a certain age, be in school or have graduated high school, have committed no felonies or misdemeanors of significance, and other criteria.

The school district, through Superintendent Dr. Don Haddad, has made it clear that they fully support every student regardless of their background or legal status. While other school districts in Colorado released official statements when the repeal of DACA was announced regarding their support for Dreamers, SVVSD chose not to. “We’re not changing our approach to anything,” Haddad said. “We have clear board policies, and we, as I’ve said before, treat our kids with the same kindness, respect, love, and concern, 24/7. So there would be no need to put out something that would imply that we’re going to all of a sudden do something differently. Our policies are clear and our approach is clear.”

Olga Cordero, a counselor currently working at Rocky Mountain Elementary, who has worked with DACA families in the district since the program was first enacted, believes that the impact of the changing political climate will be felt by Dreamers everywhere. In her work with DACA families, she had students who may not have seen the purpose in trying in school or working hard, but that changed when DACA was enacted. “Students had hope,” she said. “They worked harder. They felt that they had a future. They were motivated by their own possibilities.”

While school districts in Colorado cannot collect any information regarding the legal or immigration status of students, 5280 magazine estimates that there are approximately 17,000 Dreamers in the state of Colorado, and a number of those are students within the St. Vrain Valley School District.

It is still unclear as to what program will replace DACA and what may change for current DACA recipients. What has been made clear is that all students are fully supported by the district, and that will not change regardless of the replacement program. “For us, we don’t change our approach with kids and our community every time a politician says something,” said Haddad. “We care about our kids 24/7, every day of the week.”

About the Contributors
Jared Overturf, Editor
Jared Overturf is an editor for The Maverick and a senior at Mead High School. He has a dog named Fergus and a cat named Rufus, both of whom he loves very much. He is a well-ranked student who is enrolled in multiple AP classes. When not at school, you can find him at home,...
Aiden Owen, Photography Editor
Aiden is TheMAV’s photo editor and in-house photographer. He is a junior this year. He is currently working on starting his own photography business. He enjoys his craft and helping others with their goals. You can contact him at [email protected]
14 Comments

14 Responses to “Dreamers Look to Uncertain Future”

1. Amber Vanzant on October 31st, 2017 7:29 am

Great story! This is such an important topic and you did a great job making it relevant to our community.

2. Jared Overturf on October 31st, 2017 9:26 am

Thank you very much!

3. Paige Reorda on October 31st, 2017 9:13 am

This is a great article, written very clearly. I’m glad that this issue was brought up to our superintendent due to the fact that this political issue regarding DACA, has affected some in our community.

4. Will brown on October 31st, 2017 9:15 am

This is a really hot button issue and this article addressed in a mature, informed way.

5. Ms. Metivier on November 5th, 2017 10:52 am

I agree completely!

6. Sophia Barr on October 31st, 2017 9:15 am

Very well said.

7. Aiden Owen on October 31st, 2017 9:15 am

This is such an important issue regarding our community. Let’s hope that the new policy doesn’t change much for the Dreamers.

8. Blake LaVanchy on October 31st, 2017 9:15 am

What a wonderful representation of our school district. This piece is truly unifying, considering the diversity of this school and this district.

9. Lucas Hale on October 31st, 2017 9:17 am

Excellent story, the problem is well presented and explained. I had no knowledge of DACA before this article and now feel as if I do have a basic understanding of the issue. Well done.

10. Rachel A Hofmann on October 31st, 2017 9:38 am

Well done. Keep telling the important stories for ALL students.

11. Anakin Morales on October 31st, 2017 11:18 am

As a Mexican-American, whose many cousins have flourished under DACA, this really speaks levels to me because they were thankfully able to receive educational equality. They are becoming successful young adults with a passion for learning and strive for a great future, and thanks to the SVVSD, a great future is definitely a possibility for them.

12. Ms. Ervin on October 31st, 2017 2:40 pm

Excellent story. Proud of you for going to the source and asking for our superintendent to go on the record regarding his support of all students. While he might not have felt the need to say it, I know some of our students needed to hear it.

13. Alice York on October 31st, 2017 6:27 pm

Thank you for this article! I’m so glad that our superintendent, school board, and policies stand firmly for DACA.

14. Ms. Metivier on November 5th, 2017 10:53 am

Very well written!

• Dreamers Look to Uncertain Future

News

Sources of Strength: not your typical suicide prevention program

• Dreamers Look to Uncertain Future

Fall

Mead Varsity Softball shuts out Windsor opponents

• Dreamers Look to Uncertain Future

Local

Mead Varsity Football beats Lewis-Palmer Friday night

• Dreamers Look to Uncertain Future

10th Grade

Students getting new iPads for 2018-2019 school year

• Dreamers Look to Uncertain Future

Local

Students create petition to save Percussion Ensemble

• Dreamers Look to Uncertain Future

School

What to expect for Graduation

• Dreamers Look to Uncertain Future

Local

Artists assemble for district wide Art Show

• Dreamers Look to Uncertain Future

News

Energy Academy unvieling

• Dreamers Look to Uncertain Future

Local

Chinese 2,3 and 4 classes go to the Confucius Institute in Denver for field trip

• Dreamers Look to Uncertain Future

School

Mead Drama Department wins prom royalty

Dreamers Look to Uncertain Future