Dance team competes against local Colorado schools

The hidden hard work behind MHS’ dance team.

Aiden Owen

Coach John teaches the girls a new segment for their show.

Aiden Owen, Photography Editor

Just this last weekend, November 11th, the dance team placed 11th against several 5A schools at their regional competition. This competition was not CHSAA regulated, so there were no divisions.

Their state competition, December 9th at the Denver Coliseum, is CHSAA regulated, so the girls will be going up against other 3A teams, instead of 5A teams.

Aiden Owen
“I really like dance because it gives me a chance to express myself. It’s just really fun for me” says sophomore Lydia John, pictured here practicing for the upcoming regional competition and playoff football game.

Many are only aware of the dance team’s existence from their halftimes shows at the football and basketball games. Relatively few are aware of the level of commitment the dancers put into their sport.

The dance team, founded in 2010, is a tryout only club of 11 girls, freshman to senior. It is lead by Head Coach Jamie John, Captain Chloee McCellan, and Co-Captain Kaycee Buck.

The Dance Team meets every Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 2:30 to 4:30, as well as every late start before school, to practice their show routines, The girls also practice at home on their free time.

Aiden Owen
The dance girls practice their routine in the cafeteria on days that the band room and gym are not available.

“[Dance is] fun. It’s a fun team-bonding experience,” says sophomore Abby Davis, “You learn these steps and these counts and you kind of learn how to multi-task.”

Many of the dance girls are in other activities as well. Team member Lydia John is in the orchestra and she also does drawing.

Abigail Davis plays trumpet for the marching band and finds that “Neither one is harder or easier. They both have their own challenges and both are similar in that you are counting and doing like 5 different things at once.”