Frantic Finals

How should I study for finals?

Shay Willis, Columnist

Finals are coming up, and if you’re like me, you might not know how to study or struggle with it. There’s nothing wrong with that, but you ought to strive to make good study habits that will help you all throughout your school career. Here’s a couple tips that will help.

Start studying immediately and study every day. Repetition is key. By continuously going over it, you’re drilling the facts into your brain, memorizing it subconsciously. By the time the test comes up, you’ll know the information and can apply it. In addition, this also saves you the panic and stress of trying to “cram” the information in the night before.

Don’t multi-task or procrastinate. Multi-tasking will divide your attention and alter your ability to concentrate on what you’re supposed to get done. Brain power that you could use to memorize crucial facts is spent worrying about the second or third task you’re taking on. Procrastinating just delays the inevitable.l You know you have to study, who why don’t’ just get it over with so that way you can enjoy the rest of your evening doing something you like or that interests you.

Take frequent breaks. Droning on and on with something will cause your brain to sort of “fall asleep” and you won’t be able to retain any information. Take five minute breaks every half hour or so; just enough time to let your brain wake back up and get ready to study again.

Drink lots of water while studying. Staying hydrated will reduce your chance of getting a headache and help keep you focused. Whenever you feel yourself starting to stray away from the material, take a sip of water and then get back to studying.

Make flash cards. For those difficult terms, dates, and vocabulary you may struggle to remember, flashcards will be very helpful. By putting the term on one side and the definition on the other, you will be able to train your brain to associate the terms and definitions together. The way that works best for me to study the flashcards is to look at the term and try to say the definition aloud which sort of engraves it into my mind.

Finals are stressful, yes, but you can do it! Come up with a good studying routine and don’t delay. You have the ability to do well and get a good grade, all you have to do is apply yourself. I wish you luck in the upcoming weeks and hope you get the best grade you can!

Have a question? Need some advice? Email Shay Willis at [email protected]!
-Mav Advice: Advice for Students, From Students-