The Girls’ Club officially emerges with a great purpose

Mead High School has a new club

Anakin Morales-Jimenez, Reporter

On Monday, the 13th of November 2017, stellar junior, Angie Bustillos, successfully directed the first meeting of the Girls’ Club in the main office meeting room with ten attendees and an impactful conversation.

Photo of Junior Maria de los Angeles Bustillos.

Prior to founding the club, Bustillos attended a summer program known as the ‘Colorado Girls’ Leadership Council’ in 2016, that focused on the need for societal changes; her main focus being the stigma around mental disorders.

“As I talked to my teachers and my peers and my counselors for that program, I learned that the best way to start and approach [the stigma around women being more likely to have an eating/mental disorder] was to start with a girls’ club…”

Bustillos’s focus on such disorders inspired the founding of the Girls’ Club, which is only the first step of an extensive process to advocate for change.

In terms of an elected leader of the group, the Girls’ Club does not require one and does not plan on opening a spot for an appointed president or leader. Despite Bustillos being the founder of the club, she does not wish to be considered the president.

“I don’t want it to be a club in which one is superior to another because that is definitely not the case.”

She plans for the Girls’ Club to continue after she graduates in 2019, continually with no appointed leader. Instead, there is a future hope is to form a special partnership system in which an upperclassman takes an underclassman under their lead, which has shown to increase graduation rates by 43%, similar to Posse leaders.

However, when an onlooker sees the title “Girls’ Club,” negative assumptions may come to mind. One might think it means “no boys allowed” or it is a club centered around antagonizing the male population, but that is not the case.

In fact, the Girls’ club welcomes allies: anyone who is willing to join the discussion and the planning to advocate for societal change. Bustillos says that allies play a crucial role in the whole process because more change can be accomplished with outside support.

As far as the coordination of events for the Girls’ Club, the projects are yet to be discussed within the group, but Bustillos desires to begin helping the local women of the community.

A topic on the table so far is running projects to assist homeless women, and single parents within the community, and further accommodations and alterations are pending.

The primary meeting began with an opening question: What is it like to be a girl at Mead High School? A wave of differing responses emerged, creating an in-depth discussion around the stereotypes and stigmas surrounding girls within the school.

The upcoming meeting is set to be on Monday January 22nd, next week. The team encourages students, regardless of gender, to come and join the ongoing discussion for societal change within the Girls’ Club during lunch in the office board room.

1 Comment

One Response to “The Girls’ Club officially emerges with a great purpose”

1. Alice York on January 21st, 2018 11:16 am

I’m glad to hear of this new group at MHS!

[Reply]

• The Girls’ Club officially emerges with a great purpose

A new Bubly machine appears in the commons

10 ways to celebrate your mom

Columns

Summer doesn’t need to be a bummer

Vape advertising and teenagers

10th Grade

Sophomore year— a personal overview

St. Vrain district Film Fest

What I learned from failing

Are graduation requirements changing?

Students compete at FCCLA State Conference

Activities

Longmont United Hospital hosts Career Day