Girl Scout goes for the gold

The gold award is the highest achievement in the Girl Scouts organization -- so what is our local MHS student doing to attain it?

Freshman+Bayleigh+Melichar+is+one+of+few+students+to+continue+her+work+in+Girl+Scouts+in+high+school+and+beyond.+
Freshman Bayleigh Melichar is one of few students to continue her work in Girl Scouts in high school and beyond.

Aiden Owen

Aiden Owen

Blake Caylor, Reporter

The gold award is the highest achievement in Girl Scouts. Not only does it require an extensive amount of dedication, but also a certain unique mindset. Similar in some ways to the Boy Scouts eagle project, the gold award is a tremendous honor; now one of the students in our school is reaching to get the gold.

Freshman Bayleigh Melichar is striving to improve the world for women in addition to achieving the honor. Her goal: raise awareness of the variety of things girls can do. As she put it, “girls have more purpose, we deserve a chance to prove ourselves”.

Melichar won’t actually know what her project specifically is until she spends more time researching women’s issues. She knows that modern women’s issues are something she is passionate about, and she is excited to contribute a solution as she continues working on her project.

Projects others have done include anything from sewing pillowcases for children with cancer to renovating churches. Basically, girls can do just about anything as long as it benefits and brings together the community.

As for why Bayleigh is still with the girl scouts organization, she says it opens many opportunities for her future. By demonstrating her good work ethic and hard work, she has the potential to make a great difference to the world, for the better.

The Girl scouts organization not only provides opportunities, but also important qualities and skills. Leadership, self worth, and courage are highly commended within the organization. The young women involved build these skills through various activities, so that they can use them in all aspects of life.

1 Comment

One Response to “Girl Scout goes for the gold”

1. Natalie Hansis on March 1st, 2018 7:39 am

This is a great goal!!!! Thank you for the encouragement it gives me.

[Reply]

• Girl Scout goes for the gold

10 ways to celebrate your mom

• Girl Scout goes for the gold

Columns

Summer doesn’t need to be a bummer

• Girl Scout goes for the gold

80/20: A reporter’s perspective

• Girl Scout goes for the gold

Vape advertising and teenagers

• Girl Scout goes for the gold

10th Grade

Sophomore year— a personal overview

• Girl Scout goes for the gold

St. Vrain district Film Fest

• Girl Scout goes for the gold

What I learned from failing

• Girl Scout goes for the gold

The Prom Assembly 2018: A Slideshow

• Girl Scout goes for the gold

Are graduation requirements changing?

• Girl Scout goes for the gold

Students compete at FCCLA State Conference

Girl Scout goes for the gold