Parkland tips another domino — the chain of shootings still occur

Threats to attack the schools in the country are rising following the Parkland incident

Anakin Morales-Jimenez, Reporter

The weeks following February 14, the day that Nikolas Cruz walked into Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School with an AR-15 to kill 17 students, floods of threats and tips of violence against schools have been reported nationally on a large scale.

The Educator’s School Safety Network, an organization that tracks news reports of threats and violence and focuses on safety training for staff and teachers, has collected a series of incidents since February:

• 29 incidents included students having guns within their school, some with knives
  • Seven students have been arrested for threats of violence
  • At least 1,005 incidents of violence have occurred
  • The total number of threats so far has counted up to 810

“It’s reflective of the feeling in the country,” says the founder and director of the Educator’s School Safety Network, Amy Klinger. “You have to think about what someone who’s making a threat wants to get out of it. They want chaos, fear, for people to be upset.”

It all dates back to the first account of a deadly mass shooting at a school: Columbine High School on April 20th, 1999. In the span of time between Columbine and Parkland, there have been over 200 reported school shooting. The lives of hundreds, thousands of people across the United States have been altered as a result of the weight of these incidents.

So, why have the number of  events risen ever since Columbine? The domino effect is a major contributor.

The domino effect is as assumed: it is when a single event sets off a chain of similar events, with either an end point or without an end point.

When the Columbine school shooting occurred, it inspired several students across the country to follow the same path with different reasons and motives, and this chain has been prevalent for 19 years now.

When the will this chain come to an end? It is a matter of time until the legislative powers find the right solution to ensure the safety of students in schools within the United States.