Two seniors win drumline competition, travel to state and world competition later

MHS students will be traveling to Colorado Springs on April 14th for State and to Dayton, Ohio on April 18th-21st for World Championships performing a rendition of Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Tell-Tale Heart”

The show revolves around the ever-beating

The show revolves around the ever-beating "Tell-Tale Heart"

Aiden Owen

Aiden Owen

Aiden Owen, Reporter, Photographer

Update 4/16/18: The band won first at their state competition!

On March 31st, the Rocky Mountain Percussion Association (RMPA) hosted a competition at Longmont High School. The event hosted over 25 different indoor drumlines from around the state, all competing for first place in their “class.” A class is the equivalent of a division in most sports.

There are varying levels of competition, as well as different types of groups. For example, There are concert groups, similar to our school’s percussion ensemble, and marching groups, similar to a marching band, though only percussion. The varying classes include A, Open, and World.

Aiden Owen
Robert McKenna plays drumset for the band

Mead High’s very own seniors Robert McKenna and Mariana Tiscareño participated in this competition with the Longmont High School Indoor Percussion ensemble, winning their 2nd competition in a row in their division this season. The ensemble has won 7 (now 8) total state championships since 1998, with the past 4 (now 5) being consecutive.

Aiden Owen
Tiscareño and McKenna are congratulated for coming in first.

You can follow their Instagram here.

When preparing for their performances the students practice usually upwards of 16 hours per week.

“The hardest part [of practicing] has been not just learning the music, but learning how to perform,” according to McKenna, “How to make the faces and move. It’s also the funnest part because I get to go *******”

Aiden Owen
McKenna get into character before the performance

The performance is not simply musical, it is dramatic in its entirety. Students get into character through costume as well as acting. The music they play works in accordance with the storyline of the text they’ve chosen, this year the band chose Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Tell-Tale Heart.”

When asked why they chose that piece, Tiscareño responded, “Our director, the one who writes our music, works with a band in California. They used a wood floor last year. They were trying to figure out what to do with this wood floor when one day it just clicked. The Tell-Tale Heart would work perfectly with this”

“One side is a modern take on a victorian look. That’s supposed to be the sane side. When we turn that side towards the audience we show that he’s not that crazy, but when we turn the other side towards the audience we show just how crazy he is” [Tiscareño On the Costume]

The band has two competitions coming up, one in Colorado Springs on April 14th, for their state championships, and the other in Dayton, Ohio from April 18th-21st.

“I’m excited for Dayton, but I’m really nervous for State because we’re state champions and we gotta defend that title,” said McKenna when asked how he felt about the upcoming competitions.

1 Comment

One Response to “Two seniors win drumline competition, travel to state and world competition later”

1. Shelby Lewis on April 17th, 2018 9:14 am

Good luck to them when they go to state!

[Reply]

• Two seniors win drumline competition, travel to state and world competition later

Local

Gary Shields re-elected as Mead’s mayor

Local

Make-A-Wish comes to Mead

Local

The voices of the walkout

Local

Student investigated after threat to Mead High School

Local

Some students expectations unmet at Wednesday’s walk-out

Local

Student’s discuss why they didn’t participate in Wednesday’s walkout

Local

Students participate in student-led walkout

Local

MHS welcomes new updated science and math rooms

Students and faculty participate in the Spread the Word To End the Word Campaign

Local

Local environmental group Erie Protectors push Coloradoans to inform and reform