Two seniors win drumline competition, travel to state and world competition later

MHS students will be traveling to Colorado Springs on April 14th for State and to Dayton, Ohio on April 18th-21st for World Championships performing a rendition of Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Tell-Tale Heart”

The show revolves around the ever-beating

The show revolves around the ever-beating "Tell-Tale Heart"

Aiden Owen

Aiden Owen

Aiden Owen, Reporter, Photographer

Update 4/16/18: The band won first at their state competition!

On March 31st, the Rocky Mountain Percussion Association (RMPA) hosted a competition at Longmont High School. The event hosted over 25 different indoor drumlines from around the state, all competing for first place in their “class.” A class is the equivalent of a division in most sports.

There are varying levels of competition, as well as different types of groups. For example, There are concert groups, similar to our school’s percussion ensemble, and marching groups, similar to a marching band, though only percussion. The varying classes include A, Open, and World.

Aiden Owen
Robert McKenna plays drumset for the band

Mead High’s very own seniors Robert McKenna and Mariana Tiscareño participated in this competition with the Longmont High School Indoor Percussion ensemble, winning their 2nd competition in a row in their division this season. The ensemble has won 7 (now 8) total state championships since 1998, with the past 4 (now 5) being consecutive.

Aiden Owen
Tiscareño and McKenna are congratulated for coming in first.

You can follow their Instagram here.

When preparing for their performances the students practice usually upwards of 16 hours per week.

“The hardest part [of practicing] has been not just learning the music, but learning how to perform,” according to McKenna, “How to make the faces and move. It’s also the funnest part because I get to go *******”

Aiden Owen
McKenna get into character before the performance

The performance is not simply musical, it is dramatic in its entirety. Students get into character through costume as well as acting. The music they play works in accordance with the storyline of the text they’ve chosen, this year the band chose Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Tell-Tale Heart.”

When asked why they chose that piece, Tiscareño responded, “Our director, the one who writes our music, works with a band in California. They used a wood floor last year. They were trying to figure out what to do with this wood floor when one day it just clicked. The Tell-Tale Heart would work perfectly with this”

“One side is a modern take on a victorian look. That’s supposed to be the sane side. When we turn that side towards the audience we show that he’s not that crazy, but when we turn the other side towards the audience we show just how crazy he is” [Tiscareño On the Costume]

The band has two competitions coming up, one in Colorado Springs on April 14th, for their state championships, and the other in Dayton, Ohio from April 18th-21st.

“I’m excited for Dayton, but I’m really nervous for State because we’re state champions and we gotta defend that title,” said McKenna when asked how he felt about the upcoming competitions.

About the Contributor
Aiden Owen, Photography Editor

Aiden is TheMAV’s photo editor and in-house photographer. He is a junior this year. He is currently working on starting his own photography business. He enjoys his craft and helping others with their goals.

You can contact him at [email protected]

1 Comment

One Response to “Two seniors win drumline competition, travel to state and world competition later”

1. Shelby Lewis on April 17th, 2018 9:14 am

Good luck to them when they go to state!

• Two seniors win drumline competition, travel to state and world competition later

Local

As Homecoming approaches, a student pleas for other students to not drink and drive

Fall

Mead Varsity Softball shuts out Windsor opponents

Fall

Mead Varsity Football beats Lewis-Palmer Friday night

Local

Students create petition to save Percussion Ensemble

Local

Artists assemble for district wide Art Show

Local

Chinese 2,3 and 4 classes go to the Confucius Institute in Denver for field trip

Local

Colorado teachers unite at the Capitol to protest school funding

Local

The annual Carbon Valley Half Marathon is fast approaching

Activities

Longmont United Hospital hosts Career Day

Local

Gary Shields re-elected as Mead’s mayor