Ending mass shootings (opinion)

There is no one, single answer

A+sign+saying+%22Not+One+More%21%21%21%22+is+held+up+amongst+the+crowd.+

Ending mass shootings (opinion)

A sign saying

A sign saying "Not One More!!!" is held up amongst the crowd.

Aiden Owen

Aiden Owen

Aiden Owen

Jalena Roberts, Reporter

When there is a mass shooting or a shooting threat of some sort, people try to come up with ideas on how to stop something like it from happening again. However, they usually only ever offer one answer on how to do so — taking a hard stance on the matter and saying that, for example, better mental health care or gun control laws would fix this matter. Seemingly never taking note of the fact that all of the people that commit these horrible atrocities are different and that they do the things they do for varying reasons, just like the rest of mankind.

It’s for this reason that we, as a society, can never truly decide on one true, singular solution to all of these shootings. If you use one solution, there’s still going to be a whole entire group of possible shooters left over that won’t be stopped because there was only one solution that was chosen. All solutions to mass shootings have some sort of downside to them, making it hard for them to be one hundred percent helpful in all cases.

For example, when it comes to shootings on school campuses, the idea of arming teachers has been brought up before. There are multiple, huge risks that come with this solution in the fact that teachers could very easily abuse their access to guns and simply add to the amount of danger that comes from being inside of a school. Arming teachers might also make guns more accessible to students as well.

Another solution that has a downside to it is taking away guns entirely. I won’t be the first one to have ever said this, but, to take away our guns means to take away a means for us to defend ourselves. If guns become entirely illegal, people will still find a way to get their hands on them and to make them. The individuals willing to break the law to get their hands on guns illegally are the people we should be worried about. If they’re willing to break the law to get guns, who knows what other ways they’d be willing to break the law, with all those guns on their side.

With all these solutions to one huge, confusing problem, it doesn’t become a matter of which single problem would work, but instead, we have to decide, as a society, which problems would work in tandem with each other. I personally feel like better mental health services, better security in places like schools, workplaces etc. and better gun control might help. Even if the improvement of certain things costs us as a country some money, at least we’d be trying something instead of simply not acting on the issue.

When it comes to the issue of solving mass shootings, there needs to be more than one solution in effect to truly help fix this issue. As I’ve said before, no one, single solution will be able to fix such a huge problem like mass shootings.