Tucutes vs. Truscums — discourse in the transgender community

The transgender community has been experiencing the implication of negative stereotypes, but where does some of the conflict originate from?

Anakin Morales-Jimenez, Reporter

If context is needed, please read the past installments of the transgender series if you need definitions and some clarification.

A common stereotype among the transgender population is that the individuals who identify as transgender are falsifying their supposed gender dysphoria, which is ultimately the determining factor if whether or not someone is transgender. In simpler words, people who identify as transgender are only bandwagoning because of how “trendy” being transgender has become, especially in the 21st century.

The stereotype exists for a reason: there are definitely individuals in the world that falsify their gender dysphoria to slap on the transgender label simply for praise and attention (known as “transtrenders”).

However, stereotypes do not mean everyone.

There are individuals who fight every single day in a constant loop with their own biological sense of being and often times their societies that repress their ability to seek the treatment (hormone replacement therapy, etc.) they need in order to be mentally healthy and satisfied, not excluding general social acceptance.

Unfortunately the genuine transgender population continues to be hindered by the very existence and ideas that transtrenders tend to vocalize and misinform others with.

How did this begin? The answer is simple— some believe in the biological process of the brain that cause gender dysphoria, while others say you do not need gender dysphoria to be transgender. The subdivisions of truscums and tucutes.

The entire reason why the concept of being transgender exists is because an individual’s brain is biologically wired differently from their birth sex, therefore causing varying degrees of gender dysphoria amongst those individuals.

Claiming that you are transgender, yet openly saying and being aware that you are not in ANY FORM discomforted or emotionally disabled by your birth sex and biological gender not matching up is unacceptable and damaging.

It is perfectly okay to not have a desire to physically transition through hormone replacement therapy and be somewhat comfortable with your body if you express as your experienced gender. However, the line is crossed when you either say you do not have gender dysphoria, or say that an aspect of your body causes you dysphoria and then proceed towards flaunting that part by choice.

It is already enough that transgender people are still misunderstood by most of the cisgender population globally, yet in-community misinformation and idiocy tips the scale and is not commonly addressed properly.

Anakin Morales-Jimenez, Reporter

Anakin M-J, 15

Yo, it’s yah boy: your local illustrator and comic artist.
I am a sophomore in Mead High School, and I love to do art of all sorts of media and many subjects. Although I want to be a doctor, drawing is still nice to get away from all the research and studying I have to do in order to get a doctorate and an M.D. I happen to do commissions so please contact me if interested!

Also, I dislike dogs and cats— I’m a bird person.