Students compete at FCCLA State Conference

MHS represented well at state conference — students to head to Nationals soon

Student+of+FCCLA+pose+in+front+of+mead+high+%28photo+courtesy+of+Mrs.+Saenz%29+

Student of FCCLA pose in front of mead high (photo courtesy of Mrs. Saenz)

Garrett Schroeder, Editor

Last week, April 5th through the 7th, the FCCLA State conference was held at the Denver Marriott Tech center. Students of mead competed in the conference with many students winning medals. Here is the list as follows:

Molly Imhof and Shaina Danile competed in Promote and Publicize FCCLA winning a TOP Gold Medal- National qualifiers.

Tori Buchanan competed in Teach and Train winning a TOP Gold Medal- National qualifier.

Sam Rhodes competed in Sports Nutrition winning a TOP Gold Medal- National qualifier.

Ashleigh Seery and Hannah Wojahn compete in National Programing winning a Bronze Medal.

And other participants being Kami Khamis, Roberta Placinta, Greta Andersen, and Sofia Tiscareno. ​​​​​​​​

FCCLA stands for Family, Career and Community Leaders of America. It is an non-profit organization dedicated to teaching Family and Consumer sciences to students across America. They focus on student taught courses focusing on family and consumer sciences. Their goal is to prepare students for the future and teach about Community and Career, as their name implies.

I interviewed some of the students about being in FCCLA and Junior Sofia Tiscareno said “I wanted to join FCCLA because it sounded like something fun, you get to meet new people from other schools across Colorado and share about our communities and what we are doing to help them thrive.” She added “FCCLA has taught me how to be a leader in my community. We can give back to our community by holding fundraisers and by bringing awareness to important issues like traffic safety.”

Senior Sam Rhodes also commented “I enjoy helping out the community. It’s a great way to come together and figure out ways to solves issues.”