Colorado teachers unite at the Capitol to protest school funding

Approximately 10,000 teachers arrive in Denver at the Capitol building to protest.

A large crowd of teachers gathers at the Capitol to  protest Colorado's education funding.

A large crowd of teachers gathers at the Capitol to protest Colorado's education funding.

Jared Overturf

Jared Overturf

Jared Overturf

Kassidy Trembath, Editor in Chief

Throughout the day on Friday, April 27th, about 10,000 teachers from across the state gathered as a group in Denver, Colorado, says Fox 31 News. All across Civic Center Park, teachers and supporters wore red shirts to show their support for #RedForEd. Many people also made signs to hold while they marched to the Capitol.

“The point of this day of action is to go down to the state capitol and say ‘You need to fund public education. If you want us to do the best that we can, and all of us are doing the best that we can with what we have, then you need to support us more.’ We need more funding from the state,” says Mrs. Hicks, department head of physical education at Mead High School.

The CEA (Colorado Education Association) supported the day of action entirely. They had wanted to accomplish many things, but a main goal for them was to “create strong neighborhood public schools in every community in our state.” To learn more about why the CEA is taking action, click here.  

Some district superintendents have gotten together to write a statement in support of the teachers, specifically Wendy Rubin and Englewood Schools who were able to help construct a superintendent statement from districts in Colorado.

The superintendents, by signing the statement, agreed on this:

Over the past several months, school superintendents across Colorado have been working in partnership with school boards and community groups to call attention to the dire public school funding issues that plague our state. We strongly believe that our students, our communities, and our educators should receive the supports and compensation they deserve.

The statement also discusses things like how much funding Colorado schools get based on the number of students and the needs of students.

16 superintendents signed the statement, but St. Vrain was not one of them.