St. Vrain district Film Fest

St. Vrain district Film Fest

Sophia Barr, Reporter

On Saturday May 5th, students from all over the district came together at Niwot High School for the St. Vrain  Film fest. The St. Vrain film fest gives students an opportunity to show off a skill that is not commonly recognized throughout schools,

Before the showings on Saturday, several workshops were held to help students further their knowledge when it comes to directing a video, these workshops provided hands on experience and resources that could be used by anyone looking into the video editing or director career paths.

When asked how he feels about the film fest Jim Asmus,  host of the fest and the Interactive Media Technology teacher at the Career Development Center in Longmont, says  “My favorite part about the film festival is seeing the reaction of filmmakers as they see and hear the reaction of the audience to their films. So often the only reaction filmmakers get is a thumbs up or a thumbs down on YouTube. This allows them to listen to the audience laugh, sigh, cry, shriek and applaud for their films.”

If you’re looking for something to do or looking to critique some student films, then make sure you check out the District Film Fest.

• Students from all over the district participate in the fighting choreography workshop.

• Ryan Yancey (Junior) and Bailey Grasser (Senior) participate in the workshops held before the showings.

• Two instructors demonstrate how to properly "fight" during a movie scene

• Shonn Alves (Niwot High Senior) and Simon Quince (Skyline high Senior) Participate in workshops

• Student teacher Calvin Shephard demonstrates how to properly write a script

• Career Development teacher Jim Asmus presents Ryan with 1st and 2nd place for Drama/Comedy film

• Mead High students Ryan Yancey (11) and Bailey Grasser (12) pose with their winning medals