Summer doesn’t need to be a bummer

Tips on how to spend your summer vacation

Shay Willis, Columnist

With less than three weeks until summer, it’s time to start thinking about how we should spend our three months away from classes. Some of you might already have plans, but I know that, if you’re like me, some of you have absolutely no idea of what activities you can do to unwind from school or how to relax. Luckily, I have a few ideas for you to do or to get the creative juices flowing.

If you have a group of friends you want to do things with, there are a few good ideas.

Road trips (with a parent or guardian’s permission, of course) would be a good way for you all to get out and bond with each other. Pick a destination and just drive. And then once you reach wherever you’re going, go out and explore. Go to stores you wouldn’t normally have access to or go see the local sights. Try foods you haven’t before and new things you’ve wanted to try. Granted the hotel or motel room, gas and food will be a bit pricey, but if you all save up your money, it’s doable. A road trip would be a good way for you all to grow closer as friends and make memories and a load of inside jokes.

Don’t feel like leaving? Host a movie night at your house. Order pizza and grab some soda and popcorn and you have food covered. Have everyone bring their blankets and favorite movies and you all can gather around a screen to binge the films. Even better, make it an interactive movie. Come up with fun things you all could do at certain parts of the movie or invite people to actively recite the lines. It can be loads of fun.

You all could head out to the mall together as well. It’s a fun way to just hang out while also running some errands you might have. Flat Irons is a pretty good place to spend your afternoon. With two levels of stores, a full food court, and outside shops, you are guaranteed to be busy for hours.

Prefer to be alone? Have not fear, there are plenty of fun things you can do on your own during summer too.

Video games, one of my personal favorites, are abundant in this day and age and more are coming out than ever. Many massively multiplayer online games (MMOG, or more commonly known as MMO) have been released over the past year. These games include the popular Fortnite, PUBG, and Sea of Thieves. But there are so many more games than this. There are also games on your handheld devices such as Nintendo’s 3DS’s or Nintendo Switches. I know some popular story games on those include the Legend of Zelda series and (my personal favorite) the Fire Emblem series. They will keep you entertained for days, but remember to take breaks and give your eyes a rest.

If you need to get away from the screen, pick up your favorite book series and marathon it. Read and analyze the different scenes or just relive great memories associated with the story. And then, if there are movie adaptions, you can watch the movies after finishing the books and draw out the experience.

If you need to get out of the house, why not donate your time to help others and volunteer. There are so many opportunities available at local areas such as the library, the humane society, and for the city. It gets you up and going and makes you feel good when you give your time. Plus, if you have to get some volunteer hours, you can knock those out of the way and be done with it.

Summer doesn’t need to be a bummer, you just have to plan fun things to do. It’s also okay to take days just for yourself as well. Sleep in, watch movies, and treat yourself, but don’t waste the days. After all, school will be back before you know it!