Mead Varsity Football beats Lewis-Palmer Friday night

"We just played football" said junior #65 Ethan Watkins

Running back #26 Nathan Bailey fights off 3 defenders to put the Mavs in scoring distance.

Aiden Owen

Aiden Owen

Aiden Owen

Aiden Owen, Photography Editor

Mead’s Varsity Football team beat Lewis-Palmer at Friday night’s game with a score of 27-14.

#34, Runningback, Ryan Bullock is forced to the ground just past the line for a short gain. It was just enough though, as it set the Mavs up for the touchdown that put them in the lead.

It wasn’t a sure win from the beginning, however. Mead was down by 1 point, with a score of 13-14, prior to halftime. That didn’t last long, as the team got into a groove shortly thereafter.

When asked whether or not the team was concerned after the first half, junior Ethan Watkins (#65) said, “No, we just wanted to play football.”

He added that it felt “pretty good” winning the first game of the season.

Others agreed and added that it was a tough game, according to senior Brennen Dibella (#76). “But we pulled it together at the end,” he said.

“It’s exciting senior year to come out here,” says Brennen Dibella (#76). Brennen is also drum major for the marching band and notes that “it’s busy, but it’s fun, y’know.”

Klatt shared that this is not only a win for the high school but a win for the Mead community as a whole.

“I think we work well as a team,” said Dibella.

Mead will face off again rival team Skyline High School, Friday, August 31st at 7pm at Longmont High School.

• #34, Runningback, Ryan Bullock is forced to the ground just past the line for a short gain. It was just enough though, as it set the Mavs up for the touchdown that put them in the lead.

• An impressive 20 yard throw from Brady Veltien (#8) to Trey Ward (#5) put the Mavericks in the lead early into the 3rd quarter.

• A short pass from Veltien to Nick Jacobs (#2) put Mead further ahead as the 3rd quarter ended.

• Taken down hard, Nick Jacobs was injured at the end of the 3rd quarter, but he got up and walked off the field. He returned to the game soon after.

• Coach Jason Klatt gives Veltien advice for the next time he is on the field.

• Running back #26 Nathan Bailey fights off 3 defenders to put the Mavs in scoring distance.

• Halfway through the 4th quarter, the weather changed to a blustery downpour, but Mead kept strong through the storm.

• "It's exciting senior year to come out here," says Brennen Dibella (#76). Brennen is also drum major for the marching band and notes that, "it's busy, but it's fun, y'know."

• The student section and football section gather on the field together as the band plays the fight song.

• The players and Coach Klatt celebrate the win after the game.

About the Contributor
Aiden Owen, Photography Editor

Aiden is TheMAV's photo editor and in-house photographer. He is a junior this year. He is currently working on starting his own photography business. He...

1 Comment

One Response to “Mead Varsity Football beats Lewis-Palmer Friday night”

1. Rachel Long on August 28th, 2018 10:14 am

Great pictures Aiden!

• Mead Varsity Football beats Lewis-Palmer Friday night

Fall

Two passionate volleyball girls make honorable mention for 4A state

Fall

Varsity volleyball takes on state

Fall

Varsity Football crushes cross-town rival Frederick 30-8 in 9News Game of the Week and secures a home playoff game

Fall

Varsity Football steamrolls Denver North in a blowout victory on senior night

Fall

Improvements are being made by the Men’s Varsity Soccer team

Fall

Balancing sports and school as a freshman

Fall

The Sears brothers take on Mead’s Varsity Soccer

Fall

Cross Country faces challenges for a new generation of runners

Fall

Senior Easton Willyard encourages better performance through team building on the Varsity Football Team

Fall

Mead Varsity Softball shuts out Windsor opponents