Addressing the rumored nicotine sensors and the effects of nicotine on the lungs

A broader discussion on the rumored nicotine sensors and the health effects of Juuling

Jazmine Spradling, Reporter

At Mead high school, students have been buzzing about the rumored nicotine sensors in the bathroom. In an email response regarding the rumors, Mrs. Schwartz said that administration will not be discussing whether the sensors exist or not. “As an administrative team, we are not discussing the rumored nicotine sensors in the bathroom.  Let’s help our students keep their lungs healthy.”

Viewed as a bad thing to Juul, I discovered there are some unhealthy things about both cigarettes and Juul/vapes. Cigarettes, as well as Juuls, affect every organ in the body. Two hundred hits of a Juul is equivalent to  about a pack of cigarettes.

Juuling isn’t the best alternative, but if it gets you to stop smoking, it would be much better than smoking cigarettes every single day. There’s an article I was reading about kids talking about their peers even doing it in class. Elijah Luna, a sixteen year old tenth grader at Visa del Lago High School said, “They blow it into their backpacks or into their sweater when the teacher isn’t looking.” They also smell good and they look like flash drives, so they are easy to hide.

Juuls have some strong nicotine and there are some kids that even get addicted. There are hardly any major side effects,  but the small ones include bloody noses and dry mouth. There’s also been a risk of heart disease. An article from Shape.com described an eighteen year old girl who ended up in the hospital after vaping too much. She was diagnosed with “wet lung,” an illness in which someone has an allergic reaction to dust or chemicals in the vape pen.

There’s not any permanent solution for the health effects that Juuling has on teenagers besides to stop teens from purchasing them, but that is highly unlikely.

As for nicotine sensors, I highly doubt they exist at our school. It doesn’t make much sense; they would need to be replaced and it would cost the school a lot of money. On the other hand, no one really knows how far administration will go to stop Juuling at school. Mead High School may never know!

Jazmine Spradling, Reporter

Jazmine is a sophomore. She likes babysitting and hanging out with friends and family. She wants to bring fun and spirit to The Mav.

You can contact her at [email protected]

9 Comments

9 Responses to “Addressing the rumored nicotine sensors and the effects of nicotine on the lungs”

1. Marina on October 4th, 2018 7:17 am

Thank you for looking into this and researching this! I know so many students want to know

2. Allison on October 4th, 2018 7:19 am

I agree with you. I don’t think that we have nicotine sensors in the bathroom.

3. Brooks Upham on October 4th, 2018 7:21 am

Nice article! Lots of helpful information about vaping/Juuling.

4. Emma on October 4th, 2018 7:22 am

Very insightful! Way to use your sources!

5. Matthew Silbernagel on October 4th, 2018 7:22 am

Woa! Now I know not to juul in the bathroom. I’ll have to save it for lunch in my car 🙂

6. Clairissa Estes on October 4th, 2018 7:22 am

Just let the kids Juul, seems cheaper and easier.

7. Wyett Derr on October 4th, 2018 7:23 am

You have some good strong points on why we may not have sensors.

8. Bailey on October 4th, 2018 7:25 am

I really like this article, it shines some light on the rumors and definitely creates some instrest in the fact that they don’t want to share comments on the matter

9. Blake LaVanchy on October 4th, 2018 7:27 am

Great student interview!

• Addressing the rumored nicotine sensors and the effects of nicotine on the lungs

News

Mead’s new bell schedule receives conflicting views

Fall

What’s coming this winter for sports?

News

Don’t drive into trouble

Local

As Homecoming approaches, a student pleas for other students to not drink and drive

Fall

Cross Country faces challenges for a new generation of runners

Fall

Senior Easton Willyard encourages better performance through team building on the Varsity Football Team

News

Sources of Strength: not your typical suicide prevention program

Fall

Mead Varsity Softball shuts out Windsor opponents

Fall

Mead Varsity Football beats Lewis-Palmer Friday night

10th Grade

Students getting new iPads for 2018-2019 school year