Filed under Local, News, School

As Homecoming approaches, a student pleas for other students to not drink and drive

Sophomore Hannah Farr recently participated in a DUI checkpoint, and here’s what she has to say.

All+cars+are+stopped+at+the+DUI+checkpoint+
All cars are stopped at the DUI checkpoint

Hannah Farr

Hannah Farr

Drinking and driving is a topic that hits close to home for me. As the daughter of a veteran police officer, I have heard countless stories of heart-wrenching fatalities due to drinking and driving.

Labor Day weekend Thornton Police Department partnered with Adams County Sheriff’s Office and the community to put on a large DUI checkpoint. DUI stands for Driving Under [the] Influence. Most frequently this is referred to as drinking and driving; DUI is not limited to alcohol, it also includes drugs or anything that can impair your ability to drive a vehicle safely.

Officer Mendez of the Thornton PD says, “We have DUI checkpoints set up, looking for drivers who are going to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or both, and we just have that as a high visibility wager to basically dissuade people from driving impaired.”

During this specific DUI checkpoint 1,357 cars were stopped, 13 road sides sobriety tests were performed, and three arrests were then made.

Considering Thornton posted all over social media that this was occurring, it is remarkable that people were still willing to drive under the influence.

On August 18th @thornton_police_dept posted, “drinking tonight? Don’t drive in Thornton. We are out and looking for drivers under the influence of drugs or alcohol.” This post, along with the bright warning signs, probably deterred a lot of people from driving impaired, and the ones that still did were caught and taken off the roads.

The most important thing to know about DUI is that it affects more people than the individual impaired driver. It’s a ripple effect. If you make the decision to drive impaired, you put yourself and everyone around you in grave danger.

The simple decision to get behind the wheel while under the influence has the potential to harm many lives. The driver’s bad decision can end their own life and others—a mother can lose a child; a wife could lose her husband.

Don’t make the mistake of saying “it’s my life” or “it’ll only affect me”.

Each year in Colorado, more than 150 people die in alcohol related crashes. 1 in 5 fatalities involve a driver who tested positive for drugs. 25,000 people are arrested for DUI. Consider these statistics before getting behind the wheel.

Most commonly, when teens drive under the influence, it because they fear getting in trouble for drinking, or doing drugs so they just decide to take the risk.

It is common for teenagers to admit that they drive “tipsy” or “after smoking a little weed”; however, the problem with this is high school students don’t understand that they are still a danger even if in their opinion they only a little tipsy. Bottom line it is illegal and a huge danger.

Officer Kelly Lasater of Thornton PD, who was also at the DUI checkpoint,  said it is important for high school students to know that “At the end of the day we’d rather you call us then get in a car and risk your life as well as others.”

She also explained that teens have parents who love them and would rather get a call from their kid asking to be picked up then getting behind the wheel.

This Homecoming season, think a little harder before you or your friends get behind the wheel impaired. Consider the risk to your life, your reputation, and the lives of everyone around you.

Is it worth it? Is it worth being killed? Is it worth killing someone else? Or best case scenario, is it worth being arrested? Is it worth it?

Hannah Farr, Reporter

Hannah Farr is a sophomore. She enjoys playing softball, snowboarding, going to concerts, and various outdoor activities such as: camping, hunting, backpacking, and fishing. She hopes to use her love for writing to get her voice, and the voice of the students herd and bring out the truth in school and community-wide issues.

You can contact her at [email protected]

2 Comments

2 Responses to “As Homecoming approaches, a student pleas for other students to not drink and drive”

1. William farr on October 5th, 2018 8:56 am

Good job Hannah hopefully the message is heard. Everyone stay safe

2. Melissa Farr on October 5th, 2018 2:32 pm

Outstanding job on this article Hannah Farr!! Let’s hope the student body reads it and has a better understanding of the severity of drinking and driving. Stay safe Mavericks!

• As Homecoming approaches, a student pleas for other students to not drink and drive

Fall

Mead Varsity Softball shuts out Windsor opponents

Fall

Mead Varsity Football beats Lewis-Palmer Friday night

Local

Students create petition to save Percussion Ensemble

Local

Artists assemble for district wide Art Show

Local

Chinese 2,3 and 4 classes go to the Confucius Institute in Denver for field trip

Local

Colorado teachers unite at the Capitol to protest school funding

Local

The annual Carbon Valley Half Marathon is fast approaching

Activities

Longmont United Hospital hosts Career Day

Local

Gary Shields re-elected as Mead’s mayor

Local

Two seniors win drumline competition, travel to state and world competition later