Ulyana Pyrlik

Walk in Their Shoes

Get to know Mikulas "Miki" Hlava, our foreign exchange student from the Czech Republic

Mead High School met Mikulas Hlava as a foreign student. Miki is a Czech Republic representative and sent here by the Greenheart Exchange Program to get a new experience. “My dad heard about this program and wondered if I would like to study abroad. I promptly found it a fascinating idea so we set it up soon,” he describes.

The Greenheart program’s purpose is to enrich cultural values of leaders through staying in the United States. “I was interested in America and wanted to see the life of people here, meet new friends, recognize the cultural diversity,” says Miki. Once he arrived in the States, he was surprised at how kind everyone was to him. One thing which is unique for Miki is the tradition of saying grace in some of the American families. “The praying before eating is new for me,” he explains. “I’ve visited some dinners, nevertheless, someone do that and someone do not”.

Miki describes himself as an outgoing person who loves to talk with people and tell them about his homeland. He thoroughly enjoys being a foreign exchange student. “People are interested in my country and I am always willing to present it. I am not introvert and relate to that group of people who receive energy by sharing thoughts with others and communicating in a society,” he says.

Back home, Miki enjoyed running, skiing, watching different movies, and playing board games with family and friends back home. At Mead, Miki found many activities interesting and continued running exercises by joining the Cross Country Team. “I like Cross Country because it is a good way of communication with new people and I met many friends there.”

He goes on to underline the main differences which distinguish his old school to his new American school saying, “Here I have only eight blocks and they last for one hour and 20 minutes each. In Czechia there were eight to nine classes for 45 minutes and our school started at 8:15 am. I also appreciate teachers’ positive and friendly attitude and their will to help you. I find the opportunity to choose courses in American schools valuable. This year I picked programming and guitar, which I am interested in.”

Miki was also amazed by Homecoming dance. He says, “We don’t have it in my country and here it was a lot a fun and [to dance]!” Miki describes his favorite Christmas tradition from his home saying, “We cut apples, send nut boats and try not to drown them and sing carols on Christmas Eve.”

Miki is excited about trying skiing in Colorado and he likes to volunteer here. “I liked making lunches for homeless people in Denver because it helps community and I know they don’t have that much support as in our country.”

The Mav • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in