Varsity Football steamrolls Denver North in a blowout victory on senior night

Friday’s victory is the fourth straight blowout win for Mead, and fifth blowout of the season

Aiden Owen, Photography Editor

Varsity Football beat the Denver North Vikings 49-6 Friday night. This marks the fourth straight win for the Mavericks—all of which have been blowouts—and the fifth blowout of the season.

The Mavericks were favored to win the game, with Mead winning their previous three games by margins of 30 points or more, including last week’s 56-7 win against Holy Family.

Aiden Owen
The senior players walk on to the field behind the team captains for the coin toss.

This game was the final home game of the season and, as per tradition, the seniors of the football team, cheer team, and band were recognized.

“It’s time to kinda reflect on your year,” said senior Jay Olson (#90), “[and] just have a great game with the guys you’ve made it all four years with.”

Aiden Owen
Junior Devon Edwards (#20) rolls into the end-zone, scoring the Mavericks’ first touchdown of the night.

Mead started the game strong with three interceptions and 35 points by the end of the first quarter. The Mavs started the second quarter with possession of the ball and immediately got a touchdown, resulting in a running clock with more than 11 minutes of play time left in the first half. Denver North High School would score only once during that remaining time; their only score for the game.

“We came out and we went hard from the beginning to the end,” said senior KJ Jacobs (#9).

Aiden Owen
Sophomore Brady Borger (#44) takes the ball home for Mead’s 7th touchdown of the night. Borger is part of the Junior Varsity football team, but played on the game Friday night alongside the rest of the JV team.

At the start of the second half the Junior-Varsity team went in in place of the Varsity team to allow Varsity to relax. The JV boys scored Mead’s seventh touchdown with roughly three minutes remaining in the third quarter and would go on to hold their own against Denver North’s Varsity team for the rest of the night.

Aiden Owen
Senior Easton Willyard (#39) was given one final play for his senior night, and he made the most of it, getting a massive tackle behind the line late in the 3rd quarter.

Mead will be facing off against Frederick next Friday, November 2nd, at Frederick High School at 7:00 pm.