Broncos’ Demaryius Thomas goes to Texas

Veteran receiver traded to Denver’s next opponent

Demaryius+Thomas+is+featured+in+the+above+photo.+Credit+to+the+Associated+Press.+
Demaryius Thomas is featured in the above photo. Credit to the Associated Press.

Mason Krominga

At 4:00 p.m. ET on Tuesday October 30th, the NFL trade deadline had been reached. Once the deadline passed, no team was aloud to trade any player on their roster for the remainder of the season. Nine teams participated in trades before the afternoon deadline, though, including one who hadn’t made a single trade all season.

The Denver Broncos made the first transaction of the day by sending veteran wide receiver Demaryius Thomas and a 2019 seventh round draft pick to the Houston Texans for 2019 fourth and seventh round picks (first reported by ESPN’s Adam Schefter).

This trade is indeed surprising to many, but actually quite logical for both teams. Recently, one of Houston’s starting receivers (Will Fuller V) went down with a season ending ACL injury, so a player at the wide receiver position became a need. Thomas happened to be the best available option.

It was no secret that Thomas might be traded as soon as this season’s deadline. Even he speculated that he might be on the move some time soon. The longest tenured Bronco left on their roster said “I’ve been hearing it the whole season now” just days before the trade occurred. With the recent breakout from rookie receiver Courtland Sutton, Denver felt comfortable with the decision to let go of one of the team’s all time best players.

Denver now has gotten rid of a player with a $14 million contract for next season and nearly leads the league in dropped passes. While moving a talented player like Thomas seems questionable, Denver can now look ahead into the future as their current season isn’t going as probably planned with a 3-6 record. The Broncos’ next matchup was against the Texans on November 4th, and Demaryius Thomas played. Against his former team, Thomas recorded three receptions for 61 yards according to Bleacher Report.

Mason Krominga, Reporter

Mason Krominga is a junior. He enjoys playing football, watching movies, and hunting. He wants to be a positive staff member and help others around him...