Riding the Caravan: A look into media bias and intentions of political parties

A student analyzes political incentives and reasons to allow the caravan that is steadily approaching the Untied States to come in or block them out

CIUDAD TECUN UMAN, GUATEMALA - OCTOBER 19:  Members of the migrant caravan try to slow the the flow of thousands of fellow immigrants before the group clashed with Mexican riot police at the border between Mexico and Guatemala on October 19, 2018 in Ciudad Tecun Uman, Guatemala. Migrants and Mexican police clashed when the caravan of thousands of migrants tried to cross into Mexico after pushing past Guatemalan security forces.  (Photo by John Moore/Getty Images)

CIUDAD TECUN UMAN, GUATEMALA - OCTOBER 19: Members of the migrant caravan try to slow the the flow of thousands of fellow immigrants before the group clashed with Mexican riot police at the border between Mexico and Guatemala on October 19, 2018 in Ciudad Tecun Uman, Guatemala. Migrants and Mexican police clashed when the caravan of thousands of migrants tried to cross into Mexico after pushing past Guatemalan security forces. (Photo by John Moore/Getty Images)

Getty Images

Getty Images

Landin Miyake, Reporter

Over 7,000 scared, impoverished, helpless Honduran refugees are attempting to break free from the shackles of government tyranny and are now less than a thousand miles away from the land of opportunity, where they can give their children nothing more than a chance at life.

Wait. This isn’t satire…

Starting again, a caravan originating in Honduras is moving towards the United States’ southern border. This caravan is said to have carried as many as ten thousand people but the numbers fluctuate because people are constantly leaving and joining the caravan. This caravan comes at the brink of the midterm election that is set to take place on November 6th.

President Donald Trump has announced the deployment of 5,200 active duty military troops but has expressed the chance to send as much as 15,000 to help ensure the security of the  US-Mexico border. Media bias has escalated in preparation for the midterms so the story has been vastly screwed on both sides.

To begin, how did this “caravan” start? According to the Huffington post, in 2014, 80% of Central American women are raped when attempting to reach the United States. Additionally, deaths in attempt to cross the border is up as much as 5 times the original value. A caravan, or a mass of immigrants, possess safety in numbers. Oftentimes, when crossing the border, an immigrant will pay a “coyote,” to get them across the border. This problem is also solved as the obvious plan was to quite literally walk across the United States border and claim asylum. No coyote, no rape, no death. However,  a 45-day-trek would need things such as water, food, and shelter—just to name a few. The idea that this was a spontaneous, get up and go idea is something far fetched. Mike Pence, our Vice President, says the caravan is funded by outside groups. He also noted the undoubtable connection to the left.

What motive would lead democrats to want thousands of immigrants, illegal at that, to flood across the US-Mexico border?

Chart of voting patterns among immigrants

Undoubtedly, immigrants vote in majority for the Democratic Party. If this caravan is met with no action, it is assumed that more caravans will form and reach the US border. Estimates of 150 million adults would relocate to the United States if given the opportunity. In a nation of 320 million, this number would change the voter base, making Republicans a minority and, in turn, give democrats power. The notion being pushed by the left is that migrants should be allowed to flood to the United States for the soul reason that it is our civil duty to provide opportunity to those impoverished. Questioning who is in the caravan is answered with an emotional response of “they are mothers not monsters.

However, the moral high ground in which they stand is only a mirage to actual intention. As Tucker Carlson said it’s more brothers than mothers. 70 percent of the caravan is said to be male. Additionally some immigrants have admitted the reason behind immigration is escaping criminal implications. It is entirely justified to be concern about the health and safety of their nation.  If caravans are allowed to flood into our country, this would give Democrats a larger voter base, giving them more power to pass laws allowing more migration to the US, thus snowballing their voter base. They are attempting to shift the demographic of the United States while hiding behind crude morale. The only opposition to their views comes from those who do not care about about people as much as they. They paint images of oppression in attempt to blind from reason.

Sounds like the grounds for a polarizing issue.

Speculation: The following is speculation on politics as a whole

October has had failure after failure by the left. To begin, this month they demonstrated no care of due process while at the same time alienating men as they attempted to derail a man’s entire life’s purpose of the basis of claim without a shred of proven evidence.

They then, made the claim that if you have a Native American ancestor anywhere within the time frame of 10 generations then you should be considered Native American.

The blue wave may be less emanate then first thought.

Landin Miyake, Reporter

Landin Miyake is a senior at Mead High School. He enjoys activities such as track and field. On the news staff he hopes to promote social change to make...

1 Comment

One Response to “Riding the Caravan: A look into media bias and intentions of political parties”

1. Rachel Long on November 8th, 2018 8:07 am

Interesting take on the issue. Thank you for sharing your opinion. However, I would like to point out that only citizens can vote; therefore, unless these immigrants became naturalized citizens (which takes many years), they would not be voting.

• Riding the Caravan: A look into media bias and intentions of political parties

Chris Watts case brings up debate in Colorado

Drowning in the stress of high school: how one adjustment in homework might be the change we need

No, killing is still wrong

Chasing the high: pursuit of the truth behind the rise in drug culture

How the traditional grading system often keeps us down: a student’s perspective

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: School isn’t safe, people aren’t either

Celebration, wins, and Homecoming: our 2018 celebration

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: I feel we should allow girls to wear what they want if they feel comfortable

Trends of Colorado journalism explored

Corporate clouds (satire)