Ulyana Pyrlik

Walk in their shoes

Get to know Ondřej "Andrew"  Zahradník, our foreign exchange student from Czech Republic

Ondřej “Andrew” Zahradník, a Mead High School Student from Czech Republic, Has been in the United States for three months already.  As an independent and adventurous student, he decided to take part in the Greenheart Exchange program because he wanted to meet new people, gain new experiences, and see a new culture. The United States has always been Andrew’s target destination. He explained, “I was curious about [the US]. As I had good knowledge of English before and my home country school’s grades were satisfying, [both of which] allowed me to apply for the exchange program, I took this excellent opportunity.” Andrew had to pass the tests and participate in an interview. He said, “That was not so hard and I passed without extra preparation.”  Five months after submitting the necessary information for the selection process, he  received information about his host family in the States, a clear indication that he had been accepted. “I was surprised, but happy!” he remarked.

Travelling went smoothly and, upon arrival, Andrew was amazed by the countries’ contrast. Remembering, he said, “Everything seemed bigger for me here! But now I feel more comfortable and stopped being homesick.”  Andrew finds traveling within the United States a little difficult. “There are no shops around here and I’m not good at walking there [because the] distances are longer. People drive me,” he explained. There are significant differences are in education system, too. He commented, “At my country, I had a less amount of homework and spent less time at school as classes were shorter. As about clubs, I was not involved in any of them and neither do I now. But here it is easier to study and all people are really friendly.”

Andrew continues enjoying his hobbies in the United States. “I play guitar and harmonica and write articles about art. I also like to read a lot and interested in programming.” He shared his thoughts about American holidays saying, ”Halloween seemed spooky and amazing for me. I was in a David Bowie costume and liked the party! Now I am excited for Thanksgiving day.” Andrew also wants to try skiing in the Colorado mountains. He said, “The mountains are much higher here rather than in my country and I will definitely experience that!”

The Mav • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in