Filed under Features

What I learned from my trip to Africa

A mission trip report through the eyes of a Mead student

What I learned from my trip to Africa

Coal fires in the Kyenjojo district valley create an effect that looks like mist or fog

The team, just before leaving Kampala to drive to Kyenjojo

This November, I had the privilege of traveling to Uganda with a team of people to help out a trade school called Hearts and Hands Vocational School. We flew in to Entebbe, stayed the night in Kampala, and drove four hours to the small town of Kyenjojo. After staying the night in the village hotel, we drove across town to begin our mission: to build relationships with the people of the trade school while helping organize and plan its growth. I was the official photographer for the trip, along with a plumber, a shop teacher, an architect, and a pastor, my grandfather—the general leader of the trip—and his assistant/partner.

The school, Hearts and Hands Vocational School, is working on multiple programs designed to help the underprivileged youths of Kyenjojo get on their feet by teaching them life long skills. These include sewing classes where students make and sell clothes, a carpentry class where students learn how to cut and build with lumber from trees, and more.

The school is also a big help to local widows and underprivileged families. During our trip, we visited multiple widows that the school supports in different ways.

Sembo stands with her grandchildren. 10 of her 13 children died of AIDS, leaving her to take care of the grandchildren. The school supports her financially along with gifting her four goats.

Another widow, Veronica, has been gifted a new house by the school. Hearts and Hands helps their students in life, but also the community around it in real, personal ways.

Veronica’s old house, which she built herself

Veronica and her new house, built by Hearts and Hands

One of things that had the biggest impact on me was the orphans we met. Their innocent grins and curiosity stole my heart in a way that I wasn’t ready for.

What really struck me was that these kids were most likely destined to stay in their village for their whole lives. Most people can’t afford transportation further than a few towns away.

The culture in Uganda is that you’ll do what you’re father or mother did before you, your kids will continue that trade, and so on. That’s part of the reason Hearts and Hands Vocational School is such a blessing to the people of Kyenjojo. It’s a way for kids to learn new trades, taking their future into their own hands a little more. People refer to America as “the land of opportunity.” I understood what that meant, but I had never really fully grasped the weight of the statement. A lot of the people in these third world countries’ biggest dream is to make it to America one day. There’s so much opportunity here, we’re literally brimming with it. But while most of us are raised in this culture since birth, it’s harder for some of us to recognize it.

Students from the school climb to the top of the rocky hill on campus to relax at the end of the day

I’m so glad to have been a part of this experience. It challenged me to take a better look at our culture and make the most out of the vast opportunity we’re given here, whether that be diverse job choice, amazing living standards, or comfortable financial situations. Being the photographer for the trip meant I got to show people back in America the important parts of the trip as seen by me. I’m sure I’ll keep pulling new lessons from this experience for awhile, because there was so much to learn, even in such a small portion of Africa.

About the Contributor
Brooks Upham, Photographer

Brooks Upham is a senior at Mead High School. Some of his hobbies include playing piano, balancing rocks, rollerblading, and taking photos. He hopes to...

1 Comment

One Response to “What I learned from my trip to Africa”

1. Rachel Long on December 17th, 2018 10:56 am

Wow, what an amazing experience for you. These photos are amazing! Great job!

• What I learned from my trip to Africa

Comparing classes: How Mead differs from Frederick

• What I learned from my trip to Africa

A general guide to growing indoor plants (Satire)

• What I learned from my trip to Africa

The risks of not getting enough sleep exist and are detrimental to teens

• What I learned from my trip to Africa

Foreign exchange students share books from their homelands

• What I learned from my trip to Africa

We take closer look at the issue of homelessness

• What I learned from my trip to Africa

Student editors revolutionize journalism at Mead High School

• What I learned from my trip to Africa

The life of a Maverick Dancer is different than what you might think

• What I learned from my trip to Africa

The woes of the overachiever

• What I learned from my trip to Africa

The #MeToo movement reveals years of sexual misconduct in children’s and YA literature

• What I learned from my trip to Africa

Administrative maneuvers: a guide to disciplinary policy and mandatory reporting

What I learned from my trip to Africa