Administrative operations: a guide to disciplinary policy and mandatory reporting

Students do have rights, but along with those come responsibilities

In some way or another, the administrative body of Mead High School has been present in the lives of all students who attend it. Indirectly or otherwise, most can recall at least one instance of administrative interference that served either beneficial or felt detrimental to their success as students and people. But what exactly are the explicit responsibilities of Mead High School’s counselors, teachers, and administration when it comes to promoting the success of their students?

The district’s mission statement says their goal is “to educate each student in a safe learning environment so that they may develop to their highest potential and become contributing citizens.” This mantra stands as a reminder that the district’s main goal is to provide a nurturing and safe environment for all those who enter it. There is the question, however, of what the district protocol is for handling students who are at risk.

Be it because of mental health issues, or a lively background that contains situations considered unsavory by the greater part of society, what district policies are in place to deal with students who are more at risk than average?

The public suspension and expulsion records for all Colorado school districts are sorted into data charts by the Colorado Department of Education; they are then separated by gender and race. The most popular offenses committed by either of these categories include various forms of assault and vaping or smoking.

During the 2017-2018 school year, tobacco/nicotine offenses were behind 3,158 instances of suspension, expulsion, or some sort of disciplinary action in the entire state of Colorado.

Local administration is very aware of this fact, with Chad Eisentrager, Assistant Principal and Athletic Director, citing vaping as one of the top offenses committed at Mead in a recent interview.

When a student is caught on some sort of offense, an investigation is typically begun to determine said students and those involved level of risk. Punishments are typically more severe if a student has a history of requiring disciplinary action from law enforcement or administration.

In the event a student is in some sort of danger, be it academically or the prospect of sustaining physical harm, it is the responsibility of the administration to (depending on the severity) report any sort of harmful activity to parents or law enforcement.

If a student is at risk of failing to graduate, a collaborative effort between counselors, teachers, and administration is pursued in order to insure that student’s well-being.

The purpose and general responsibility of any educator (or their superior) is to provide a nurturing and beneficial environment to usher their students into emotionally and physically stable futures. A student’s happiness is equally important to their progress as academics. 

Banks Dakin, Reporter

Banks Dakin is a junior. He enjoys dogs, cooking, and sports. This is his first year of newspaper, and he looks forward to a great year on staff.