Underclassmen cheer at high drug usage statistics in Colorado during assembly

Students express their opinions about drug usage

On Thursday, January 10th, at around 10:10 AM, Guest speakers Lynn Reimer and Nick Thompson were brought in to talk to the freshmen and sophomore classes in the auditorium  to discuss drug use statistics in Colorado.

The assembly was intended to be about informing students of an issue that is seen in teenagers everywhere but has become more present within schools.

During this assembly, the sophomore and freshman classes, “cheered and clapped when they were showed statistics about high drug usage in Colorado” says freshman Brissa Wallace.

Many students liked the way the guest speakers approached the topics but didn’t feel that is was effective or taken seriously by most students.

“I do not think the assembly was effective or taken seriously because it was scheduled in such a short period of time that felt rushed for the students and guest speakers” says sophomore Danae Costello. “We hear about drug abuse so much that it becomes repetitive.”

Of course, there were people who proved an exception to this display, including Costello, who stated she “…did not feel like [the assembly] went well, and there was a lot of disrespect the entire time,” but also added that there were a lot of other aspects that played into how the assembly went, not just the kids.

“I think it was important for the kids to hear,” Wallace explains, “the message was heard but might not have been taken as seriously as intended”.

In addition, Lilly McElroy, freshman, added, “No matter what they are told, kids are going to go and do whatever they want to anyways.”

Many students feel that the behavior at the assembly was disrespectful to not only the guest speakers but to Mead High School as a whole.

As explained by Principal Rachael. Ayers, Mav 30 was created so that class time was not interrupted to talk about things that are important within our school and community.

As this is becoming a growing concern that is recognized nationally, parents, teachers and schools are trying to find a way to reach students raising awareness.

“I challenge our students to take a stand. Make the change you want to see in your world. I am challenging.” Ayers expressed.

Disciplinary actions for drug use as well as the behavior at the assembly has been handled by administration.

For more information on disciplinary actions at Mead High School, click here.

Marina Goter, Reporter

Marina Goter is a sophomore. She enjoys dancing, listening to music, and hanging out with friends and family. She wants to be able to bring a fun, new...