“Always tired” no more

I'm feeling really drained lately and I don't know why. How do I get my energy back?

“Always tired” no more

We all know that feeling where we want to do nothing more than to go to sleep and stay asleep because we’re so tired and have no motivation. I know that I, for one, am feeling this hard. It’s a common symptom of adolescence. Getting up so early, being stuck in a classroom for hours on end, and then going home and doing who knows what until you have to go to bed can drain a person quicker than you might think. Then you add on all the stress that comes with friendships, relationships, and other social obligations and the exhaustion becomes that much more prominent. Luckily, there are some things you can do to unwind and try to get some more energy.

If it’s possible, go to bed earlier. The average teenager needs about 8-10 hours of sleep and some of us are not getting that. Our natural body chemistry and hormones dictate that we are supposed to stay up later in the night and wake up later in the day, but with a start time of 7:15 we cannot sleep later in the day. Because of this we are losing precious hours of sleep and making ourselves exhausted. The only way to get the hours of sleep we need is to push our schedules back. In order to get my necessary 9 hours of sleep, I force myself to take a melatonin at 8, get ready for bed, and then I’m lights out no later than 9. Sure I lose out on time I could use to do other things I would do when I’m awake, but I am more refreshed in the morning and have the energy to get more done in less time.

Unplug from your phone for a weekend. Take some time for yourself where you don’t have to talk to any of your friends and just be. I know from experience that friendships can be draining, but that’s why you just need to take a break. Sure you can use your social media—whether that be Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr, or whatever—to look at memes and cat videos, but take a break from your friends. You’ll find that you will have a bunch more energy after the weekend.

Maybe give essential oils a try. I know that many people think they’re bogus, but sometimes they actually work. It’s less about the hard science and more about what lets your brain unwind. I know my orange scented lotion does the trick to wake me up on a tricky morning when all I want to do is sleep. Some scents that have been known to increase energy are lemon, orange, cinnamon, and peppermint.

If none of these methods seem to work for you, it might also benefit you to do a bit of your own research. Googling “how to get more energy” or some variation of that can and will lead you to a whole variety of articles with more methods to get energized. But these three methods have been tried and seem to work for me and some of my friends. I just hope they can help you as well!

Shelby Lewis, Copy and Design Editor

Shelby is a junior and the current Copy and Design Editor at The Mav. She enjoys reading, writing, and spending time with her friends and family.

You...

1 Comment

One Response to ““Always tired” no more”

1. Rachel Long on February 1st, 2019 2:02 pm

Kudos to you for recognizing that you need more sleep and taking steps to get what you need. I hear so many people (students and adults) complain about how tired they are, but they aren’t willing to make any lifestyle changes to remedy it. Students can vow to keep their phones out of their rooms when it’s time to go to bed and start some relaxing routines to signal the body that it’s time to sleep (reading, journaling, meditation, or a warm bath are a few examples).

• “Always tired” no more

Columns

Freaking out about fonts

• “Always tired” no more

Columns

Academic SOS: how to get back up to a passing grade

• “Always tired” no more

Columns

Surviving the October Slump

• “Always tired” no more

Columns

No need to fit in

• “Always tired” no more

Columns

Don’t be a no-show to Ho-Co

• “Always tired” no more

Columns

How to deal with back to school stress

• “Always tired” no more

Columns

Summer doesn’t need to be a bummer

• “Always tired” no more

Columns

Keeping your cool until we get out of school

• “Always tired” no more

Mav Advice

Positive ways of living: changing our outlook

• “Always tired” no more

Mav Advice

Taking a break from your phone

“Always tired” no more