Mead High School is sending kids off to explore the next chapter of their life in college

MHS athletes start the next chapter of their lives by signing to play a collegiate sport.

Wyett Derr, Reporter

Mead High School just had a big day for seniors that got scholarships to the colleges they picked. Mead High School students at the signing were Zack Tribbett (CSU Pueblo), Hope Borger (Dordt College), Preston Hall (Ft. Lewis), Brenndan DiBella (Ft. Lewis), TJ Shehee (UNC), and Riley Gilbert (Northeast Community College).

All of these Mead students have worked hard in sports and in the classroom.

Preston Hall will be attending Ft. Lewis College with his friend Brenndan DiBella. When asked if he’s excited to go to college with DiBella, he said he couldn’t be happier. They are both a big part of why Mead High School has been so successful in their football program. They also like to build relationships with everyone around them. Both will do whatever they can to lend a helping hand.

During the signing, Coach Klatt had a few words to say about these two people. Klatt said, “Ft. Lewis doesn’t know fully the kind of people they have selected to attend their college.” He also stated that they are both hard working students inside and outside the classroom, and they will do their best to be unselfish and to put themselves in other people’s shoes to do what they can to help them out.

Hope Borger thanked many people during her speech. She thanked her parents, coaches from this year and previous years, and all the sports administration that have helped her succeed throughout her volleyball career. She understands that everyone in her life will help her get wherever she needs to go, so, in turn, she gave them all a shout-out during her speech.

Hope wants to be a teacher. She got the idea to teach kids her sophomore year because she was always babysitting her little siblings, and she also taught some classes to her younger siblings. Lots of Hope’s friends say she is the type of person that, if you are struggling, will be right by your side doing everything step by step until you understand or feel comfortable doing it on your own.

TJ Shehee will be playing golf in college. Shehee is going to college with a couple of his friends he’s met on the golf course, so he won’t be walking into a new school alone. According to the Head Athletic Director , Chad Eisentrager, all High School golfer have heard this kids name and will fear what this kid will be doing against them. TJ is a heck of a golfer but he is also a hardworking student. He is one of the kids that really defines what it means to be a Maverick in the school and outside the school. Mead High School will be waiting to see how much he accomplishes on his journey through college.

Mead wishes all the best for the athletes who signed. Good luck on your next adventure through college, and the Mead community can’t wait to see how your lives change throughout college.

Wyett Derr, Reporter

Wyett Derr is a sophomore. He enjoys playing football, baseball, and wrestling. He also enjoys cooking and writing. He is hoping to inform the school about...