A day in which the roles are flipped: a boy with make-up and girl without

In a quick social experiment, two students try to switch roles in order to see how their peers would react

A boy wearing makeup or a girl not wearing make up: which elicits the best response?

Bella Justice

Bella Justice

Bella Justice

Bella Justice, Reporter

In a quick social experiment, Bella Justice, a junior, and Brooks Upham, a senior, decided to swap “beauty roles” for a day. Justice, a girl who normally wears make-up, would go out in school with a completely clean face and Upham, a boy who has likely never worn make-up in public, would walk around the whole day wearing make-up applied by Justice.

Upham started out by saying, “At first, I had my doubts about wearing makeup for a day. I didn’t expect anyone to be mean to me perse, but the occasional worry about what people would secretly think flickered across my mind.”

As Justice started to apply the mascara, those thoughts instantly left him. He experienced a change in his mindset in which he embraced his appearance rather than being ashamed by it.

He said that the school day went great. “My makeup wasn’t too overt, so not many people noticed unless I pointed it out.”

When his peers noticed, the response was usually laughter and a sarcastic, yet endearing, compliment. “Most people assumed I was just wearing makeup as a joke or for another reason than to simply look good, and they were right.”

Upham noticed that there was little mocking or jeering from his peers about his choice to wear makeup. He commented, “That day showed me how much our culture has become more accepting of people doing things outside the norm for their gender.”

“People weren’t weirded out or disturbed by my makeup, just curious. Overall, the reaction to a guy wearing makeup was better than I had expected.”

Justice’s experience wasn’t nearly as uplifting as Upham’s. “No one said much other than asking if I was tired or doing okay.”

It was a neat thing to try or the pair; Justice felt more comfortable in her natural skin and found it interesting to see if people would comment on her appearance. But, overall, it was just a normal day with normal classes and teachers for them. 

Of course, in the beginning, Justice was skeptical, wondering, “Are people going to notice or say anything?” but it “turned out a lot nicer than [she] expected to so that was a little self-confidence boost.”