To protest climate change, young activists participate in climate strikes around the world and in the U.S. and Longmont

These climate strikes commonly take place on Fridays and are led by many activists, most of whom are teenagers. One is being held September 20 in Longmont.

Students gather to demand the government take action on climate change at Martin Place on November 30, 2018 in Sydney, Australia. Inspired by Greta Thunberg, thousands of students walked out of school in cities across Australia to demand government action. Prime Minister Scott Morrison urged students to stay in school, telling parliament,

Students gather to demand the government take action on climate change at Martin Place on November 30, 2018 in Sydney, Australia. Inspired by Greta Thunberg, thousands of students walked out of school in cities across Australia to demand government action. Prime Minister Scott Morrison urged students to stay in school, telling parliament, "what we want is more learning in schools and less activism in schools."

Mark Metcalfe, Getty Images

Mark Metcalfe, Getty Images

Mark Metcalfe, Getty Images

A Swedish teenage activist named Greta Thunberg testified to Congress on Wednesday about the need for action in the fight against climate change. Thunberg first gained national media attention for not attending school on Fridays in favor of protesting in front of the Swedish parliament. 

She is joined in her desire for change by many other young people. Activists have decided to follow Thunberg’s example and skip school or work on Friday to march in climate strikes. Some companies such as Ben & Jerry’s and Patagonia are even closing for the day to allow their workers to participate.

Thousands of climate strikes have been scheduled worldwide for Friday, September 20 and Friday, September 27. The strikes are intended to encapsulate a week of climate activism that includes a UN climate summit. 

Most of these strikes have been organized by teenagers who worry about the impact climate change will have on their future. 

In an interview with USA Today, one of the organizers of a strike in Boston said, “I want to emphasize that our entire organizing team is under 20. Young people and students have really been leading this.” 

Some are comparing the climate strikes to the Vietnam protests in the 60’s and 70’s due to the strong role young people have played in organizing events. However, the students organizing climate strikes are often younger than those involved in Vietnam who were primarily college students.

A strike has already been organized in Longmont on Friday, September 20 and participants are encouraged to bring signs to march with. Representative Jonathan Singer who serves in the House of Representatives for parts of Longmont and Boulder will speak. 

The strike is scheduled to occur from 4:30 PM to 7:30 PM on the corner of Main Street and Sixth Street but students can find the event closest to them using the Fridays for Future Map

For more information, click here.