Mead High’s November Scholar-Athletes

Welcome to our new series. We have partnered with Athletics to showcase students who excel in sports and academics are being recognized for their hard work.

Hunter Staab-Holocomb on the left and Lydia John on the right

Scholar athlete is a series that The Mav will be doing while working alongside the athletic director, Chad Eisentrager. Through this series, we will visit two different sports each month and, with the help of Mead’s head coaches, we will nominate a scholar-athlete of the month. This athlete not only excels in their sport, but performs extremely well academically.

For the month of November, The Mav visited Dance, Cheer, and the scholar-athletes that were chosen by head coaches Jamie John and Alisa Mavrotheris. These exceptional students are Lydia John (‘20) and Hunter Staab-Holcomb (‘20). 

As co-captain of the Dance Team, Lydia John said, “I feel really honored to have that award and to know that I’m good at academics and dance.”

John has been on the Dance Team all four years of high school but has participated in dance since she was two. 

“It’s been difficult these past two years [maintaining sports and school] especially getting into college,” said John, “but I find a good balance.”

Not only does John help keep track of all the girls on her team while going to their two hour three day a week practices, she manages to uphold a 4.3 GPA.

Hunter Staab-Holocomb, who is the captain of the Cheer Team, is a senior here at Mead. Hunter has been doing Cheer at MHS for all four years of high school. 

“It feels good [to be the scholar athlete] because I don’t think, like, in cheer, we have a lot of people who get recognized,” said Staab-Holocomb. 

With a commitment of trying to go to every game for all sports along with their weekly practices, it’s hard to fit in academics as well. “I find it especially hard, particularly taking AP classes,” said Staab-Holocomb.  

“I try my hardest during my off-blocks and free time to get my work done as well as ask for help when I need it [in order to maintain academics and sports],” said Staab-Holocomb.