Student council holds a Winter Dance to raise money for Make-A-Wish Foundation

This year’s Glow Party and other fundraisers bring light to local Make-A-Wish child

Campbell Goter

Poster for Mead High School’s winter dance.

Taylor Wright and Marina Goter

Through months of planning, Student Council (StuCo) is dedicating their hard-work and all the money they make through the dance and other fundraisers to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

The dance is held on February 8th from 8pm-10pm with an admission fee of $5. 

Preparations for the dance are easier than preparing for Homecoming, says members of StuCo; however, they are looking forward to the opportunity to host a winter dance.

“I am excited. I mean, if it does happen it will be a cool accomplishment.” Said Rylee Martinez (‘21), Student Council’s Dance Director.

Tickets will be on sale the first week of February, 3rd-7th, everyday during lunch and after school. If 175 tickets aren’t sold, the dance will be cancelled.

It is a casual dance where students are asked to wear neon colors.

In addition to the dance, StuCo is also providing each Mav20 class a coin jar to collect donations. Everyday, Mav20 will not start until their teacher has counted everything in the jar. The challenge is to not only support Make-A-Wish, but also encourage students to have fun by counting change in class to make the class start later. 

Also, t-shirts supporting the foundation will be sold for $10 a piece.

The goal is to raise $5,000, and coin jars will be collected on February 6th.

Make-A-Wish Foundation is an organization that helps pay medical bills for kids with long term illnesses. The foundation also helps kids have experiences that they might not otherwise have. Their website says, In the United States, on average, a wish is granted every 34 minutes. We believe a wish experience can be a game-changer. This one belief guides us and inspires us to grant wishes that change the lives of the kids we serve.” 

While you may not have attended a dance, or purchased t-shirts as part of a fundraiser in the past, or even donated money to a special cause, consider doing so in order to support a local child through Make-A-Wish and Mead High StuCo.