Mead High School introduces a color guard in the fall of 2020

Color guard is offered as a class for the 2020-2021 school year.

Dartmouth's JV Winter Guard performed

Dartmouth Week

Dartmouth's JV Winter Guard performed "Bewitched".

Mead High School has plans to start its own school color guard this fall. They will accompany and work with the high school marching band during performances.

Color guard is a group of performers dancing to synchronized choreography with the help of props such as flags and plastic rifles. They are a large part of the visual dynamic of the marching band and the interpretation of their music. 

“The color guard is the visual ensemble within a marching band. It can be anything from dance to flags, riffles, and sabers most typically and other props as well,” said Mr. Chad Lemons, the band director at Mead High School.

“The color guard class is separate from the marching band, so during the school day, they will rehearse separately. After school, rehearsals will be together and the performances, whether it’s on the football field, parades, or marching festival, they are all tied together,” said Mr. Lemons.

The class will be a new addition to the marching band family and a chance for students to participate in an extracurricular activity.

“I wanted to take color guard because I think it will be a great addition to the marching band and it’s something to do that’s not the Mavette team or Cheer team,” said student Jacqueline Buchanan (‘21).

“It’s a great opportunity for those that are looking for something that is a visual component or auxiliary unit to what we are already doing,” Lemons stated. 

If there are students who would like to participate in the marching band, but don’t want to play an instrument or simply have a passion for dance, then the color guard would be a good fit.

The requirements and events are the same that apply to any marching band student. These students will get to work alongside band members in practices and enhance the visual aspect of the performances.

“We do have some summer rehearsals, and, of course, there will be some performances throughout the semester that we need all of our members to be a part of,” said Mr. Lemons. 

Students who are interested in becoming a part of the color guard and joining the band family still have time to register for this class; class changes must be confirmed by Lemons or your counselor by the end of the school year. 

“They can talk to me and I can work with their counselor to see if there are any options to be able to fit it into their fall schedule. We are at eight right now and our goal was between eight and twelve. Over the next few weeks, we are hoping we can find up to four or six more people,” stated Mr. Lemons.

Some students have already registered for the class and are excited to see the direction it takes and its place in Mead High School. 

“The whole point of color guard is to support the marching band so I think it’ll go well if it continues to be a class. I have dance experience, but no color guard experience so this will be a new thing that I think will be interesting for our school,” said Buchanan.

Danielle Scallon (‘22) said, “I did it in middle school and I liked it. I’m excited to get to know our classmates and have fun and learn new skills.”

Mr. Lemons is excited about this new addition to the MHS marching band. “I’m most excited because there are different clubs, groups, organizations, and teams that people tend to find their high school family in and for some students, color guard and marching band is that family.”

“It’s an opportunity that we don’t currently offer that we are excited to finally get to offer,” he added.

Lemons is still trying to find students interested and willing to be a part of the color guard. If interested, email him at [email protected] or meet with him during school. It’s a good opportunity to join a positive group of people and take part in something fun.