Mental Health Training for Teachers and Parents

Jalena Roberts, Reporter

On September 9, an event at Mead High School will be held for teachers and parents only in the library at 8:00 am. Said event will teach them about different mental disorders and substance abuse; two things that often affect the teenagers they take care of and watch over.

The event will also demonstrate things like how to deal with a youth in crisis, showing them what is normal behavior and what isn’t, what to say to a teen who’s in crisis and how to get a young adult help if they need it.

Ms. Rachel Long, the Health Clerk at MHS, is setting up the event. I went to speak with her to get some info on the event. When asked why even do the event in the first place, she said, “I think it’s really important for anyone who is around young adults to be able to respond to mental health and substance abuse issues.”

This is a stance I agree with, and according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, “6 in 10 substance abusers also have a mental disorder” (Found on AddictionCenter). As well as that, an article written by ProjectKnow (Found here) states, “Helping adults understand the repercussions of drug use can prevent a problem from forming and can provide information they can share with their children to prevent future issues.”

On a more personal note, I’ve had issues coping with mental health, and simply because many of the adults in my life have been trained well, I learned how to cope. Someone who doesn’t have training would certainly have a harder time helping someone like me.

All in all, if you’re one of the adults involved in this community, I’d recommend looking into the Mental Health Training. It’d help all of us if we had more well-trained adults to help the young adults if need be.