St. Vrain Valley School District shuts down until April 17 regarding COVID-19 in Colorado

Here is what we know.

Campbell Goter

Schools will be closed until April 17 to limit the spread of the virus.

Since the latest outbreak of the coronavirus in Colorado, multiple schools and sports have been shut down. St. Vrain Valley School District, SVVSD, has been closely observing the spread of this virus since the early January.

“Through our strong partnerships with state and county public health agencies we will continue to daily monitor COVID-19 to ensure that we are up-to-date on pertinent information and well prepared to provide communication to our community and take any necessary actions in alignment with state and county recommendations,” said Don Haddad, SVVSD’s superintendent.

According to the SVVSD website, all schools in St. Vrain will be closed through April 17. In the meantime, the district will be implementing an online learning plan that will take effect on Monday, March 30.

St. Vrain Valley Schools will open two Community Resource Centers with bilingual support on March 30 that will be open from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. for families to receive the following services:

• Families can check-out an iPad to support student learning at home
  • Families can receive printed packets of learning activities and lessons
  • Families can access wifi to download any lessons or student learning materials
  • Staff will be available to answer questions or help families find additional community resources

The Community Resource Centers locations will be at the Learning Service Center and Frederick High School.

Thursday, March 26, SVVSD will be sharing critically-important, detailed information about their online learning plan, including links to the prepared curriculum and information on how to access technology learning devices and internet service.

Many teachers in the district may have already shared learning activities and curriculum to keep students engaged over the next week, and they encourage you to check your email, Schoology Account (for middle and high school students) or other tools used to communicate with your student’s teachers.

Even though schools are closed down, the district is providing “food pickup sites for students, families, and staff.” Although meals will not be available during Spring Break, services will resume on Monday, March 30,

These pickup times will be from 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. for breakfast and lunch foods. The food pickup will be placed at the following locations:

• Timberline PK-8
  • Northridge Elementary School
  • Altona Middle School
  • Sunset Middle School
  • Soaring Heights PK-8
  • Frederick High School
  • Mead Middle School
  • Lyons High School (12-12:30)
  • Hygiene Elementary School (11-11:30)
  • Niwot High School
  • Learning Services Center

CHSAA has announced, as of yesterday, that spring sports will be delayed until April 18. As the situation continues to evolve the district is monitoring additional communications from CHSAA regarding athletics, arts, activities, and events, and will share information with communities once they know a plan for reopening schools.

“We also continue to strongly encourage healthy habits such as frequent hand washing, covering your cough, and keeping students home when they are sick,” said Haddad in a message to families.