Payton Walters

Maya said, “My freshman year, I was very timid and unsure of what I wanted to do. Since then, I have found a passion in helping people.”

Where are they going?: Maya Thompson

Welcome to The Mav’s Senior Tradition where we highlight our current seniors and discuss where they are headed

Maya Thompson (‘23) is planning on attending the University of Arizona to study sports science and medicine. With her education she plans to pursue a career in occupational therapy.

She spoke on behalf of her growth since freshman year, about how she “opened up… and [has] been involved in many programs with the school”. Over the years, Maya has stepped out of her comfort zone by “trying new things and becoming more involved”.

Attending games and participating in Unified sports was something that Maya enjoyed throughout high school. She said she “met so many people and built great connections”. She is certain she will take these connections and relationships with her “for the rest of [her] life”.

Maya has many achievements through with Unified sports and the Special Olympics program. Not only does she act as a member of the Youth Activation Committee for Special Olympics Colorado, but she has also been selected as the Youth Representative for the Board of Directors of Special Olympics Colorado. 

With this, she received a $1,000 grant from Special Olympics International to fund six community events which promote rural inclusion among special needs families.

Maya said, “These achievements have provided… opportunities to travel with Special Olympics and meet people across the country.” She will be “forever grateful for those experiences”.

She hopes she is remembered for her efforts in these programs and how much her involvement has impacted and encouraged the community to promote inclusion. 

Ms. Amber Vanzant has been a big influence in Maya’s life — she introduced her to Unified and started her path towards what she loves. “Her support has helped me get to the place I am now, and has helped me find something I truly love. She has given me insight into something not many people understand or know anything about and has pushed me to be a leader,” she said.

As the end of her high school career approaches, she encourages other students to “find something at the school you truly enjoy and pursue that for as long as you can”.

Maya has been a big part of MHS’ promotion of inclusion, and we know she will continue to do great in her upcoming future.

The Mav • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in