These five movies should be added to your summer watchlist

These movies scream summer with their “beachy” scenery
Unsplash—Quino Al
There are five of my favorite films for summer

As the new summer season approaches, with warmer weather and longer days, it’s time to start revisiting the best summer movies.

If you enjoy ABBA and musicals, Mamma Mia (2008) is the perfect summer movie for you. This movie follows the main character, Sophie, as she prepares for her wedding. Sadly, Sophie didn’t know who her father was. So behind her mom’s back (Donna), she invites the three men to her wedding who could possibly be her father.

Mamma Mia is set in the Greek Islands with an upbeat tropical vibe. ABBA is just the cherry on top, creating a beautiful movie with an even better soundtrack. Mamma Mia is a perfect 10/10, fitting the summer vibe.

Horror films aren’t typically in mind for the summer, but unusually, there are plenty suitable for the season.

My favorite is I Know What You Did Last Summer, a horror film about four teenagers a year ago who hit a man in their car after a party. They were then hunted down by a killer fisherman, who left them mysterious notes with only one sentence written down: I know what you did last summer. This movie is a classic and allows the summer vibes to roll in. This is a good watch for teens and gives a scare. I Know What You Did Last Summer is a 9/10.

Jaws is one horror movie you simply cannot leave off your summer watchlist. When a girl is killed by a shark swimming in New England, the local sheriff, Martin Brody, seeks to close the beaches. The mayor declined the idea, but shark attacks continued to increase. Teaming up with a local ship captain and a marine biologist, Sheriff Brody hopes to kill the shark once and for all. Jaws is another classic summer movie that can get anyone into the season with warm beaches, fireworks, and swimming. Being a horror movie made in 1975, the quality isn’t the best, but that’s what adds to the originality. Jaws is a solid 8/10.

Disney has a great amount of stable summer movies, but my favorite is the Teen Beach Movie. The movie follows two teenagers, Brady and Mack, who are transported into another universe that is a classic 1960s musical. Teen Beach was released in 2013 and is so nostalgic. There are beach scenes and dance movements for the upcoming summer season. This movie is great for theater kids, musical fans, and families. I give Teen Beach an 8/10.

To finish off this list, another favorite of mine is Grown Ups. Grown Ups is about five childhood friends who used to play basketball and then reunite for their former coach’s funeral. This movie has a great cast, including Adam Sandler, Kevin James, David Spade, Chris Rock, and Rob Schneider. Having all of these five comedic actors in one movie creates a hilarious and entertaining experience. For anyone in a bad mood, this is the perfect movie to help lift spirits. The lake and water park scenes are amazing for the summer season. Adam Sandler fans would appreciate this movie. I give Grown Ups a 10/10.