Mead High hosted college fair on Oct. 12

For those interested in getting more information from college and university officials, a college fair was held on Oct. 12 for MHS students and parents

Jorja Haskin

Breanna Clark, Western Colorado University regional director of recruitment, “really love[d] chatting about what students are interested in” when looking into colleges.

Jorja Haskin, Editor

The MHS college fair took place on Tuesday, Oct. 12. Mead High School introduced its students to a variety of post high school pathways with the 50 colleges that attended the fair. These schools are located in an array of environments throughout the nation.

Fairs such as these are provided by the school to welcome students and encourage excitement about their plans following high school graduation, whatever their plans and interests may be.

When asked about the value of college fairs at the high school, counselor Maura Brady-McMucllen said, “The fair gives students the ability to access what they need and provides them with the opportunity to see a variety of college options and the programs that they offer.”

Students spent time looking at the faces of different colleges and universities, as well as asked questions about the specialties each school offered. Some attendees received great feedback from the representatives there.

There was everything from flyers and information sheets to college representatives there to answer questions surrounding the specialities, culture, student body, etc. of different schools.

Calli Geddis (‘22) said that she “genuinely enjoyed looking at colleges that offer the major that [she’s] interested in…, as well as colleges that might help [her] explore [her] options further”.

Representatives at the booths were welcoming and loved talking to students about their individual schools.

Katie Carter from Oregon State University said, “I love helping students because [this] decision is a big decision they get to make on their own. They are able to customize their education.”

She said that students should see post high school plans as a “plan for them, not anyone else”.