Students are feeling the pain of rising gas prices

Gas prices have reached an all time high, and students aren’t left unaffected

From+%40dpreacherdawn+at+Unsplash.com+

Unsplash.com

From @dpreacherdawn at Unsplash.com

Aspen Bingham, Content Editor

Throughout the last few months, U.S. gas prices have skyrocketed, causing Americans to pay more than ever before. In the past, the highest gas prices were at $4.11 in 2008 during the recession. They recently passed that at an average of $4.17 per gallon

According to WSJ, Russia is one of the largest oil producers in the world, making the recent ban on Russian imports affect U.S. gas prices. “Russia exports approximately 5 million [barrels per day] of crude oil, representing about 12% of its global trade,” said the International Energy Agency.

Not only could this ban continue to negatively impact the U.S economy as a whole, it affecting the daily lives of students trying to get to school and work.

Zach Ervin (‘25) said, “It cost $110 dollars to fill up [his] tank.”

High school students often make minimum wage at their jobs, so the price of gas can cause a lot financial stress.

Expensive gas can also cause conflicts with transportation. “In the middle of the week, we don’t know how we are gonna get to school,” said Angel Dunn (‘23).

Although there is no telling when or if these prices may come back down in the future and give average citizens some relief, there are ways to efficiently save some gas and hopefully a few dollars.

Trips for essentials like groceries or food can be reduced by getting them delivered. Apps like GasBuddy, Waze, and Gas Guru can show you nearby gas stations with the best deals and offers and compare them to get you the best price possible.