The LatinX club meets every week at MHS

From the very beginning, the goal of the Latinx club was to bring the Latino community together

LatinX families

The LatinX club met in May 2021 to celebrate the flowers of May lunch.

Savanah Bayer, Content Editor

The LatinX club meets every Thursday during lunch. For first lunch, they meet with Señora Loughran in room E114 and for second lunch, students meet with Mr. Pedro Linsenmeyer in the energy presentation room in H107.

When they first tried organizing this club, students and staff members met weekly during lunch. This club consists of students eating lunch and enjoying activities together during this time. Some activities include playing Loteria, listening to Latin music, college visits, and guest speakers.

This club is mainly student-ran.

Those who advise and contribute to the club include Senora Loughran, Mr. Linsenmeyer, and Ms. Vazquez. All said they’ve enjoyed contributing to this club.

Linsenmeyer said, “I started at Mead about nine years ago as the school counselor here. I just saw a need for additional support for this group of students.”

Senora Louhgrahn said that she likes connecting with the students. She wants to “give them a safe place and a voice” as well as new opportunities.

Linsenmeyer said the LatinX club started a few years ago at Mead High School with “some committed students and staff who wanted to add some additional layers of support for students who identify as LatinX,” as explained by Linsenmeyer.

He said that one of the first activities was when they got a group of students together and watched a movie called McFarland USA, a Latino movie about cross country. Since then, they’ve started to participate in activities such as a college visit to UNC (University of Northern Colorado) in Greeley and another visit to Metro University. They then partnered with the Longmont Youth Center and started the Ollin Leadership Program. This program would come to MHS and “have fun presentations based on culture, speaking up, and valuing who we are” Linsmeyer said.

Linsenmeyer and Loughran said this year is difficult with having different lunches and getting the word out. They try to keep the students interested in the activities. They feel that not enough people know about the LatinX club. 

Students find LatinX clubs helpful for college, such as with scholarships.

Tatiana Sierra (‘24) is a member of the club. She said the LatinX club is something all Latinos can join to come together. The activities help students learn about different cultures and places. Tatian joined because she is Latina and wanted to be around her community.

Erika Rubio (‘25) said she joined the club because “the activities sounded fun”. She said she looks forward to the field trips they go on. Rubio (‘25) feels that the LatinX club gives her more opportunities here at Mead High.