Kali Uchis continues to release spiffing, melodic music with latest album

‘Orqieadeas’ preserves the tradition of great music Kali Uchis has created
Orqu%C3%ADdeas+--+or+Orchids+in+English+--+is+the+fourth+studio+album+by+singer+Kali+Uchis.+It+was+originally+released+through+Geffen+records.+
Orquídeas — or “Orchids” in English — is the fourth studio album by singer Kali Uchis. It was originally released through Geffen records.

On Jan. 12 Kali Uchis released her newest album, Orquideas. 

Orquideas, or orchids (translated into English), are the national Colombian flower, which is why Kali Uchis chose it for the name of her album. She also chose the flower as the name because of the flower’s significance: fertility, love, beauty, and mature charm.

The entirety of Orquideas is upbeat and filled with energy. I absolutely love that Kali Uchis decided to branch out from her usual albums which are more downtempo. This album had me feeling ecstatic. I adored the mixture of Spanish and English lyrics in her music.

Each song was perfect and embodied the chosen name for the album, but my favorite was “Igual que un Angel (with Peso Pluma).” I especially loved this song because she collaborated with Peso Pluma who has a unique voice that added so many more layers to the song. This fun, upbeat song matches the uniqueness of the orchid flower, and I think every song is a slice of this.

I also highly appreciated the song “¿Como asi?” at the beginning of her new release. Just by the first song, I knew immediately that what remained inside the album would be top-tier. Her voice is angelic in the song while still flowing along the upbeat tunes. Listening to this felt fresh and vibrant, setting the mood for the overall album.

“Te Mata” is yet another song I adored. The melody was pretty, and her voice was deep and serious. The tone held emotional intensity and melancholic romance. I call this her señora music because of her grown and mature approach to the song. Though “Te Mata ” still matched the high-energy set from the beginning, it contrasted with the other songs, which I think was a great addition. It was a fun surprise and very well composed. Everything was tied together beautifully, and this song brought it all together.

When discussing Orquideas, Kali Uchis mentioned releasing another album sometime later in the year. This existing news about the arrival of her new album is bursting, but in the meantime, I’ll have Orquideas on repeat. Kali Uchis did a fantastic job with each song, and the wait for this release was well worth it.

I rate this album a 10/10.