Gender inequalities span through even trivial practicalities for instance, pockets (Opinion)

Women’s clothing should require the implementation of pockets
Pockets+are+small%2C+under-appreciated+liberties+for+women.+
Savanah Bayer
Pockets are small, under-appreciated liberties for women.

Women are constantly struck with inequalities, even down to our pockets. Almost every area of a woman’s life seems to be more challenged, but pockets are an issue that remains big and consequential.

It can be so antagonizing when clothing disregards women’s needs. From dresses and leggings to skirts and even regular jeans, there should be more thought given to adding pockets. It’s 2024, and we have to move on from centuries-old inequality. While the issue may seem trifling, it is a reflection of how women didn’t have access to property or money, so pockets were not included in clothing.

There was a heavy reliance on men in the 1790’s and little liberties towards women, yet with the evolution of gender barriers, we are still reminded of polarity through even the smallest practicalities.

As someone who loves pockets, it is outrageous that women’s clothing often excludes them in designs or scarcely appends them. Even when included in clothing designs, the pockets are fruitless. Women’s pockets are 48 percent less in-depth and 6.5 percent narrower compared to men’s pockets.

Why is it that when I buy cargo pants, I’m left with fake pockets, when the main purpose of this style of pants is to have plenty of room for cargo? And when they do have pockets, there is barely any space for anything to fit.

On the other hand, once I purchased male cargo—oh my, was I the happiest. The pocket situation was much more abundant; from the depth to width, I could practically fit the contents of my entire purse and even more. False or useless pockets are unheard of. Any time I purchase men’s pants, the worry of pocket functionality is completely lifted.

It’s cruel that women are forced to buy extra accessories since garments marginally don’t include pockets. Purchases of handbags and purses are encouraged, but personally, I dislike carrying that around and holding my things.

Clothing designers should be more aware of this issue and be generous with their pockets. While handbags are nice accessories, I am simply a girl who does not fully appreciate them for the every day. I’m someone who enjoys moving freely, and I’d prefer to have the luxury of going on a quick trip without carrying a handbag or holding separate items between each of my fingers.

I can understand why certain clothing, ones that are made to fit slimmer, would not create larger pockets, but the overall dimension of them in women’s clothing is unacceptable. Women need pockets. A world with more pockets for women would be extraordinary.