Love unites people and mends division (Editorial)

In a society filled with polarization, understanding and empathy are key
Skylar Whalen
Bill Nye said we all originate from the same place on this planet and that the only reason our skin color is different is because of pigmentation from traveling to different areas; so why is everybody so divided on this topic?

There is so much polarization in the world today. In our country, society, and schools. The media has fostered the mindset that if you disagree, you should be angry and against one another. Our divided culture teaches people that it is always us vs. them, but what happened to empathy, tolerance, understanding, unity—what happened to loving one another no matter the views we hold? 

There is a lack of attempts to communicate and understand one another. Let’s be clear: we won’t always agree, but there is beauty in individuality, no matter the differences. The notion that opposing viewpoints shouldn’t be discussed is harmful and contributes to hate and division amongst sides, pushing away a vital aspect of what makes people people: love.

It’s important to note that opinions and opposing views are integral parts of being human and fostering the growth of society. While it can be immensely frustrating to be caught in disagreements, immediately shutting down and refusing to understand the other person doesn’t stop the division—it only prolongs and perpetuates ignorance. Instead of viewing other people as human beings with unique perspectives of their own, they’re viewed as enemies.

With the introduction of social media, the schism among opposing parties has substantially widened. Instead of serving as an infinite forum for discussions, opinions, and stories to be shared across the world, it’s been a router of disconnect and divide. It’s a breeding ground for group polarization, a term that explains the phenomenon when opinions mutually shared between a group of people become more extreme than initially intended.

When we surround ourselves with people who only agree with us, we limit the ideas and perspectives we’re exposed to. Events in our nation’s history were built on tolerance. Tolerance means that you can get along despite differences and remain neutral. During the Cold War, which spanned from the late 1940s to the 1990s, the country was able to come together in politics for one common goal. They were able to collaborate even though different parties had diverse perspectives. That is not extremely present in today’s government. It focuses on antagonism and belligerence when we should focus on spreading understanding and, ultimately, love.

When people notice others genuinely trying to understand them, they tend to remain more calm and collected. On a wider scale, the habit of approaching things with the intent to learn and not demean can help clear up the polluted waters of division and hatred present in today’s society.

Essentially, empathy and mutual respect can travel further than expected. Our differences make us unique, and we should embrace them with understanding. Diversity is what makes America truly beautiful.