The Outsiders

A Review of the Drama Departments Production

Students+of+the+Drama+Department+at+Mead+High+School+give+a+great+performance+in+their+take+of+The+Outsiders%2C+directed+by+Andrea+Mackey.+

Students of the Drama Department at Mead High School give a great performance in their take of The Outsiders, directed by Andrea Mackey.

Mayrene Ramos, Reporter

School theater is a great way to increase confidence and bring students together in many ways. Although I was unable to interview Andrea Mackey during rehearsals, I got the opportunity to interview seniors Chaelor Brown and Chloe McClellan, the student producers. The relationship with the whole cast is overall a good and close relationship. “we’re like a big family that gets their job done when we need to and we all just love each other”, McClellan described.

Rehearsals overall “are pretty crazy because we have a mixture of everyone doing different stuff at different times but it’s still pretty fun”, stated Chaelor Brown.  

While they feel excited about the play, the cast spends a lot of time, “working together and helping each other out”, said Brown.

“I am feeling great, all the pieces are coming together, the actors are doing good memorizing, everyone is just working really hard”, added McClellan.

The reaction of their audience and the things they will walk away with after watching the play, according to Brown, is “they are really going to love it, they are going to reflect on their own families and relationships, just a reflection on their own family and friendships and what it takes to be together”.

McClellan added, “they will be moved by this story I think they will see how we put this story in our own way. The sense with the importance of friendship that you are able to overcome the hardships”.

To summarize, The Outsiders was a great play. Our theater department really knew how to show their audience the time period taking place. Also the way the actors expressed their relationship with each character made me think about what relationships are really about.