Mead Gives back with the Giving Tree

Staff and students support local community.

Present+lie+underneath+the+Giving+Tree+in+the+office.+

Aiden Owen

Present lie underneath the Giving Tree in the office.

Blake LaVanchy, Content Editor

December is here and that means the holiday season is upon us. For two years, Mead Town Hall has teamed up with MHS’s FCCLA to give something back to the community. In the front office, you may have seen a little Christmas tree with tags on it. This is the Giving Tree, on it are tags with gifts on them from people in Mead who have specific needs. As of yesterday, all tags have been taken, but before students and teachers were encouraged to take a tag off the tree by and wrap the gift and bring it back on a predetermined date.

Molly Imhof, vice president of FCCLA, said that “Mead town hall sent out an email for anybody who would need a gift and they replied with what they want[ed]”. This project was created to give back gifts to homes that either is not able to afford gifts or need something to get by this holiday season.

Students and teachers have responded and more tags have been taken this year then the 5 years this project has been done, “we got 25 more tags this year then we did last year and they are all gone already, the last one was taken today [November 30th]”.

“I like it because it just shows how we can come together as a community and help each other out,” said Molly, and it is. All gifts go to families in the Mead School district or have students going to Mead schools.

FCCLA stands for Family, Career and Community Leaders of America. According to their website their mission is “to promote personal growth and leadership development through Family and Consumer Sciences education. Focusing on the multiple roles of family member, wage earner and community leader, members develop skills for life through character development, creative and critical thinking, interpersonal communication, practical knowledge, and career preparation”. This nonprofit has, at the national level, provided relief to their chapters which have been devastated by natural disasters in recent months.

The holidays can be a rough time but in small ways, we can show each other compassion and kindness this Christmas.