Are graduation requirements changing?

MHS counselor explains the upcoming changes in graduation requirements starting with the class of 2021

Are graduation requirements changing?

New graduation requirements are being implemented for the class of 2021.

Kassidy Trembath

Kassidy Trembath

Kassidy Trembath

Kassidy Trembath, Reporter

There have been rumors around the halls of Mead High School about possible changes in graduation requirements.

Currently, in order to graduate, students needs to complete their Individual Career and Academic Plan (ICAP) and have a total of 24.5 credits. In MHS’ catalog for the 2018-2019 school year, page 10 lists the number of credits each student has to complete. For example, a student needs 4 English credits in order to graduate.

“Beginning with the graduating class of 2021, the requirements have changed. We require more coursework than the majority of districts in Colorado, perhaps more than anybody,” said Kahle Charles, Executive Director of Curriculum for St Vrain.

Even with the change in requirements, students still need 24.5 credits to graduate. Counselor Anthony Elliott said, “Students will need to have half of a credit of financial literacy and they need to have completed all the elements of their ICAP (Individual Career and Academic Plan).” The financial literacy class is a new elective offered at MHS beginning in the 2017-2018 school year. Starting next year, sophomores will be required to take the class.

Similar to current requirements, students must show their ability to handle the rigor of college. “Demonstrating college readiness can be an assessment like the SAT and ACT,” said Elliott.

Charles also said, “When we surveyed students through the student advisory council, they made it a point that they wanted and saw the content of financial literacy as important enough to make it a graduation requirement. It is a .5 credit.” Many students viewed this class as important because it discusses financial strategies that they thought would be beneficial to know for the future.

“Have a high expectation of yourself. You will be better prepared for the next phase in your life,” said Charles with advice for students.

As an upper-class student look for a counselor’s advice about graduation, Mr. Elliott says, “Relax, it’ll be okay. We will give you all the information you need to know about graduation in plenty of time for you to graduate.”

About the Contributor
Kassidy Trembath, Editor in Chief

Kassidy Trembath is the current Editor in Chief of The Mav. She covers a range of subjects varying from policies to national news. She is very excited...

1 Comment

One Response to “Are graduation requirements changing?”

1. Mrs. Loughran on May 1st, 2018 9:09 pm

Interesting! Thanks for enlightening us!

• Are graduation requirements changing?

A day in which the roles are flipped: a boy with make-up and girl without

• Are graduation requirements changing?

The Marines cannot make good people, but they can bring out the good in people

• Are graduation requirements changing?

Students at Mead celebrate Easter in their own unique ways

• Are graduation requirements changing?

Standardized testing may seem like a bummer, but there are ways it helps us and our school

• Are graduation requirements changing?

Why we all slope into the depths of senioritis and why it is all in your head

• Are graduation requirements changing?

Humor

can bubly replace ur significant other (Satire)

• Are graduation requirements changing?

Find out about more sites from our exchange students’ countries

• Are graduation requirements changing?

Foreign exchange students share and suggest unique places to visit in their countries

• Are graduation requirements changing?

Comparing classes: How Mead differs from Frederick

• Are graduation requirements changing?

A general guide to growing indoor plants (Satire)

Are graduation requirements changing?