Hardy’s performance as both Eddie and Venom saved this movie from its sloppy plot and cheesy “one-liners”

“Venom” was given a hard time by critics, but its record breaking $205 Million opening weekend box office results say fans thought otherwise.

Matthew Silbernagel, Reporter

Tom Hardy, best known for playing the character Bane in “The Dark Knight Rises”, takes on the role of yet another masked villain; Venom. “Venom” delivered a wide range of “goods and bads” in terms of what most fans were hoping for. The fight scenes were engaging, the “suiting up” of Venom and Riot looked amazing (yet creepy), but the want for more story and a stronger explanation of certain scenes almost overpowered what made this movie truly enjoyable.

Hardy plays Eddie Brock, a reporter for his own news site “The Eddie Brock Show.” He finds himself face-to-face with the Venom symbiote when he breaks into the Life Foundation to do some investigating. The movie follows Eddie and his initial struggle to bond with Venom, but by eating peoples heads and hunting down “bad guys”, their relationship grows stronger and is one of the best parts about this film.

Carlton Drake (Riz Ahmed) plays the symbiote Riot, another head-hungry alien from the same planet as Venom. Drake is head of the Life Foundation, and was responsible for bringing the symbiotes down to earth. He conducted a series of human trials trying to determine whether humans could bond with the symbiotes or not. There was no clear motive for Riot to hate Venom, besides Eddie bonding perfectly with him, which made the final battle sequence somewhat disappointing. The climax of the fight seemed to be missing, there was no turning point or twist, so when it was over, we are left to think “really? nothing else?”

Eddie’s girlfriend, Michelle Williams (Anne Weying), was the “basic” girlfriend, causing trouble here and there, and Anne’s performance as Michelle was nothing special. She had some cheesy lines, as did everyone else, but her character seemed dull and didn’t have any direct impact on the story.

Director Ruben Fleischer executed the idea of having a Venom origin without Spider-Man, and dulled down his vicious behavior very well, but missed a few key moments because of the PG-13 restriction. The comics portray Venom as a head-eating, gory monster; but the version displayed on screen was a mild, toned down version so kids of all ages could experience it. Fans were upset, claiming the movie should’ve stuck true to the comics and who Venom really is, and not about its appeal to audiences.

Venom: 7.5/10

Matthew Silbernagel, Reporter

Matthew Silbernagel is a junior. He enjoys going to movies, listening to music, and hanging out with friends. He hopes to accomplish writing movie reviews and wants to improve his overall writing quality.

You can contact him at [email protected]

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Hardy’s performance as both Eddie and Venom saved this movie from its sloppy plot and cheesy “one-liners””

1. Marina on October 22nd, 2018 7:19 am

Awesome work man! I love all the detail in explanation

2. Aiden Owen on October 22nd, 2018 7:20 am

Venom has definitely been at the top of my to-see list! I’m glad that they didn’t ruin it by trying to keep it restricted to PG-13.

3. Wyett Derr on October 22nd, 2018 7:21 am

This review make me want to see the movie more because it sounds interesting.

4. Landin Miyake on October 22nd, 2018 7:21 am

Great insight!

5. Allison on October 22nd, 2018 7:22 am

This review really shows the good and bad of the movie. I now want to go and watch the movie.

6. Kassidy Trembath on October 22nd, 2018 7:22 am

This is really well written! You did a good job discussing all of the important pieces of the movie.

• Hardy’s performance as both Eddie and Venom saved this movie from its sloppy plot and cheesy “one-liners”

Reviews

Just in time for Halloween, The Haunting of Hill House illustrates how a psychological horror series can have a meaningful story, just as well as jump scares and ghosts

Reviews

Author Angie Thomas fights the system in her debut book “The Hate U Give”

Reviews

Will you love or hate this book?

Reviews

A dark Nancy Drew meets comedic suspense in “A Simple Favor”

Reviews

The bookworm’s paragon

Reviews

Megalodon do do do do do

Reviews

The Catcher in the Rye: not really a catch at all

Reviews

The Fellowship of the Ring (Review)

Reviews

John Green’s Turtles All the Way Down takes two thumbs up

Is It Good? – Fallout : New Vegas – Video Game Review