Just in time for Halloween, The Haunting of Hill House illustrates how a psychological horror series can have a meaningful story, just as well as jump scares and ghosts

A revision of Shirley Jackson’s 1959 horror masterpiece, Netflix brings true justice to real horror in only 10 episodes.

Matthew Silbernagel, Reporter

The Haunting of Hill House presents the life of the Crain family, in both the past and the present. From when they were all kids, being haunted by their worst nightmares, to grown adults still dealing with their past, the Crain’s must find a way to end all this horror before it ends them. The adult characters are living through their own problems (marriage, rehab, jobs, etc) when the character Nell (played by Victoria Pedretti and Violet McGraw) revisits Hill House, and brings their childhood nightmares back to life.

This series accomplished horror on a completely original scale. The majority of jump scares were unexpected and terrifying, the story diverting in new directions every episode, and questions remaining unanswered up until the last few moments of the show. Stephen King praised The Haunting of Hill House, tweeting “I usually don’t care for this type of revisionism, but this is great. Close to a work of genius, really.” The horror aspect was not only accomplished with loud and sudden music, but with frightening and (sometimes) sad imagery.

The casting for each character was fantastic. Similarities between each kid and adult could be seen physically, as well as how they interacted with each other. Grudges from their childhood carried over into their adulthood, which complicated their personal life and relationships.

Having directed Hush (2016) and Gerald’s Game (2017), Mike Flanagan has already been appreciated for his great horror pieces in the past. His first horror TV series has been a hit among audiences and a second season has not been confirmed, but has been requested by fans. Cast members have also stated in interviews that they would definitely return for another season, and would love to work with Flanagan again.

Michiel Huisman (who played the older Steven) confirmed the show holds a handful of Easter eggs for everyone to discover. From ghosts in the background, to certain statues moving around; you may need to rewatch the season to catch them all.

The Haunting of Hill House: 9.5/10

Matthew Silbernagel, Film Critic

Matthew Silbernagel is a junior. He enjoys going to movies, listening to music, and hanging out with friends. He hopes to accomplish writing movie reviews...

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Just in time for Halloween, The Haunting of Hill House illustrates how a psychological horror series can have a meaningful story, just as well as jump scares and ghosts”

1. Bella Justice on October 22nd, 2018 7:21 am

I finished the show last night and I felt like this review was accurate the plot twits at the end made everything make a lot of sense.

2. Jenna Jameson on October 22nd, 2018 7:23 am

This sounds like a really good show to watch, especially during Halloween time.

3. Brenna Cummiskey on October 22nd, 2018 7:23 am

This is a wonderful review. I love how you boosted it up with a quotation from Stephen King praising the film. It was also helpful to the reader (if they haven’t seen the movie) that you explained what to expect and what may be shocking to them and even intriguing events that occur within the plot. Nice work!

4. Jaden Lopez on October 22nd, 2018 7:23 am

This was pretty good. Makes me want to go on Netflix and binge watch it.

5. Emma Dudley on October 22nd, 2018 7:23 am

I’m super exited to check this show out!

6. Diego Cordero on October 22nd, 2018 7:28 am

Sounds very spooky!